Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph2027 View Post
    drill through the bolts and pu carterpins in that way they can't backout
    Or loctite .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I've had two plates stolen, both with new registration stickers. The first was while the bike was parked at the Colorado Renaissance festival and the second went while the bike was parked in the shed in my back yard. Since then it's become part of my pre-ride check.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

If it was your paper tag, i had the same problem. one solution is when you get the paper tag, make, or have a copy made. then take it and have it laminated with the thickest laminate you can get. It helps quite a bit, but wont necessarily solve the problem. (i managed to loose one anyway..)
        Hope this helps!

a side note.
        if you have purchased or made your own fender eliminator, be sure that when your rear suspension compresses the tag will not contact the wheel. if it does, do something about it, i.e. bend the tag in or out a bit. bad day if you come down hard, and your tag cuts your rear tire.. Good thing i wasn't going very fast when that one happened! checking my tag before i go out to ride has become a habit. i don't want to blow another tire, or loose my tag again!

- joker.
        Last edited by ModernJoker; 02-17-2009, 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        ~Fly On Bird Your Free At Last~

Comment

It happened to me about a year ago. I took my bike to a local bar/lounge to hang with my friends. When I got there, one of my friends told me that I’m missing my plate. I thought he was joking, but he was right, I didn’t have one. I jumped on my bike and did two passes over the area that I drove, but no luck. So next day I went to report the plate was lost, but the cop told me to report it missing, that way I don’t have to pay a fee at DMV when filing for a new plate. When I got my new plate, I didn’t use the screw and nuts system anymore. I switched over to Velcro. I went to my hardware store got my self a grinder, a can of paint and some Velcro. Got home and took my plate bracket off and grinded it to bare metal. I removed all the rust and any other stuff that was there. After a smooth finish, I gave the bracket 2 coats of paint and put Velcro on it and my plate. Now a year later and a 100 mph test run the plate never moved or ripped off. I did the same thing to my friends’ bike and he tested it at 140 mph.

I took this rout for a two reasons:
          • Velcro is very tuff stuff. It gives me a hard time when I’m pulling it off the bike.
          • With Velcro, you can take off the plate and cops can’t give you a ticket for parking. Now I know that a cop can still give you a ticket by using your VIN number, but most of the time they are lazy and would walk by. However, this applies to me and my area of NYC (Manhattan) and Brooklyn, where all bikes and scooters have their plate’s velcroed. I don’t know about other cities and states.

If you do what I did, you will not loose your plate while riding.

Comment

Don't know about in NY but if I found a bike with no plate that was parked illegally then I would just tow it.

JHILDE
            Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

He has a valid point.

how do you feel about the tag being bent back? It is still visible from around 10ft back. i've been pulled over for it once, but once i explained why it was the way it is, he understood and left me alone.

Comment

Hey, JHILDE whats the fine in your state for a flying license plate to the windshield of another car? One of my friends was asking who also lives down in TX. I know up in WA. it would most likely fall under RCW 46.61.655 -- Dropping Load, Other Materials -- Covering

Comment

Originally posted by JHILDE View Post
                  Don't know about in NY but if I found a bike with no plate that was parked illegally then I would just tow it.

JHILDE

Well this where the fun comes in. To tow a bike in NYC, the traffic cop or regular NYPD cop needs to call in a tow truck and it has to be a flat bed. There are not many NYPD flat beds in the city. Also, I heard that if the bike is covered with a cover, a cop can't lift the cover up to inspect the bike for inspection and plate. Again this is for NYC area and I'm not sure how it is done in the state itself or other states.

Comment

Originally posted by Konn750 View Post
                    Well this where the fun comes in. To tow a bike in NYC, the traffic cop or regular NYPD cop needs to call in a tow truck and it has to be a flat bed. There are not many NYPD flat beds in the city. Also, I heard that if the bike is covered with a cover, a cop can't lift the cover up to inspect the bike for inspection and plate. Again this is for NYC area and I'm not sure how it is done in the state itself or other states.
                    Any boom tow rig can haul a bike and is actually the prefered method as its pretty hard to load a bike on a flat bed with the steering locked.
                    Tow trucks actually have lift plates that attach to the wheel booms.
                    The over head booms just strapt them up by the wheels and bars and away they go.
                    NYPD actually has thier own tow trucks for just this case

I have had bikes brought to my shops over the years on different style boom tow trucks.

FWIW in most places its against the law to park on the street without visable tags. They have every right to check every bike, car or truck that it has plates if its on the street.

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-17-2009, 04:10 PM.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Believe it or not,I check alot of my bolts and what can fall off,almost every time!!!!My wife says I have OCD!!I tell her it's for my safety,but I think she's right......
                      Last edited by neoshifter; 02-18-2009, 12:06 AM. Reason: spelled it wrong......

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=107018844
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/neoshifter

Genesis 9:6
                      Whosoever sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed......RIP Daniel A. Mguire,you'll always be in my heart brother.

Comment

wow..i must say my plate is one thing thats not in my routine of checking..but this thread is making me want/need to check it more often! lol
                        sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                        k9 GSX-R 600
                        GO VOLS!

Comment

Try loosing it and attempting to the officer who pulls you over for not having a plate.. "i swear it was there when i left work officer!" i got pulled over for speeding, and my dealer tag (paper) had fallen off, and i didnt have my M endorsement.. i got out of all but the speeding. If you for some reason have a dealer tag on your bike, look at my earlier post, as well as have a paper copy under your seat, it very well could save your ***!
                          As for speeding goes, be good or don't get caught. so do the speed limit, or go fast enough they cant catch you! which isn't very easy, and would prove to be nearly impossible on most of the kats that i've seen.

you may outrun one po po, but you wont out run the radio!

Check your tag when you feel the need. As well as your foot pegs. my left passenger foot peg had lost all but one bolt, which was almost backed all the way out.
                          Happy riding!

Comment

go and get it replaced but do it the right way this time

Comment

get what replaced? the tag? that was back at the beginning of the summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X