X

Mesh vs. Textile Riding Jacket?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh vs. Textile Riding Jacket?

Although I've been riding for quite sometime, I'm just now looking into getting some real riding gear.

I've been checking through Dennis Kirk, NewEnough.com, and Ebay for a decent jacket within a reasonable budget (around $100 would be a nice start).

What is the real difference between a Mesh Jacket & a Textile Jacket? I assume that the mesh is really designed to be the minimal protection for riding in warmer climates - whereas the textile is something that tends to work for a wider range of temps (most I've seen have zip-in liners).

Any direction or suggestions would be appreciated!

textile=waterproof (more or less)
    Mesh= you get wet

You've pretty much got it right. solid Textile jackets are fairly weatherproof and have vents you can open to cool off. The mesh jackets are for hot weather riding as it allows the wind to flow through the jacket material.

You can get either fairly cheaply on ebay, or the close out places like newenough.

Don't rule out leather though just because your on a budget. There's lot's of cheap leather on ebay.
    Kyle

Comment

i like textile. mesh is kinda like.....fish net lol IMO

textile i think is more durable and WATERPROOF and better looking
      Hello World.

Comment

If you really want to check out the difference, go to Bob's Cycle off of Hwy 36 and Rice in St. Paul. Try on different Jackets and see what you like. They have some awsome prices on gear. I currently have a textile jacket. Yeah it has vents and stuff, but I am moving down south soon, and I am going to soon be investing in a mesh jacket due to the high heat.

A mesh does not provide nearly as much protection as the textile, but it still offers protection. Up here, you should be fine in a Textile Jacket. Plus they are water proof (mine is) and come with a liner for the colder weather (At least the Joe Rocket does)
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks guys for the info!

Lou - I'll have to check out Bob's sometime soon... looks like quite the place (and a short drive too)! I didn't realize that you were moving out of the area - where are you heading?

Comment

Many jackets also are a combo textile mesh...so they are quite comfortable in the warm weather and offer decent protection.

Most of your mesh jackets come w/ a zip out liner too, to keep you from getting water logged.

Comment

you will end up with both, plus some extras

I bought a JR Phoenix first. Then an AGV leather race jacket. Then a JR Ballistic 4.0.

The Phoenix is great on hot sunny days, but at night or in the rain it stinks.

The AGV is very comfy and I feel well protected, but it is warm and it does not fit real well over street clothes.

The Ballistic is my commuter jacket - 3/4 length and mostly water proof. It is, howver; very warm. It is great for spring / fall b/c I can zip in the liner for the ride to work and zip it out for the ride home.

I also have several non-padded leather jackets that I have used, but don't any longer due to lack of armor.

newenough.com is your friend
              I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
                you will end up with both, plus some extras

newenough.com is your friend
                I have to say newenough.com has some great prices, especially in there close out section. But don't discount ebay. You can deal with some really nice people and get some really good prices there as well.

Unfortunatly, my wife will kill me if I order another good deal.

Comment

I am moving to Alabama in September, and will be down there for a while. Maybe 2 or 3 years.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Well... I took Lou's advice and went to Bob's Cycle Supply in St.Paul last night (my renter just bought an '89 FZR 600, so he needed some gear too). It was definitely good to actually be able to try stuff on - as some of the jackets I'd been looking at online, weren't nearly as nice or comfortable as expected.

We both ended up getting Mossi Mesh Jackets - even after trying on a number of other brands. They were $100, and included a zip-out waterproof cool-weather liner. Very comfortable either way (we found a number of mesh jackets to feel rather "coarse" on the skin).

Also, I ended up buying a Fulmer Shockwave helmet they had on clearance (as the Bell helmet I had been using was an AutoSport racing helmet - and not actually DOT approved). Nice helmet for $60 (especially after reading the motorcycle magazine article on helmets the other day).

It's much nicer riding knowing I've got some suitable protection - and that it looks cool too

Comment

Working...
                    X