Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Wrist watch sized speedo, lap timer, calender, etc...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrist watch sized speedo, lap timer, calender, etc...

Ok, ok, new item . . . very cool.

Garmin Forerunner 205. GPS wristwatch.

140 dollars shipped.

Won't work with heavy rain cloud cover.

Battery lasts 10 hours before it needs to be recharged with the included charger.

Now then . . . Not only is it a great tool for running, in which it will constantly measure whatever you want it to including but not limited to running pace, average pace, max pace, time, elevation, heading, etc. But, it also has a cycling mode.

In the cycling mode you can measure, by gps, your current speed (and max and average and etc. with about a 1 to 2 second delay) in miles per hour, your speed to cover a distance (like lets say a 1/4 mile for example), the current date and time (which don't need to be set), the route in which you've driven (without road maps, can't fit all that information in a wrist watch at the current time, but you can set way points by latitude and longitude which remember where things such as your house are), automatic lap timing which resets when you cross a set point, racing against a virtual competitor, and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Freakin awesome for the price and accuracy it provides. I forgot, it also records your times and statistics so you can download them to the computer later and analyze them.

Hmm, This could be a nice gadget to try out.

Remember reading about this guy who built a computer into his bike.
    It was running a Linux distro and had GPS. As far as I can remember it logged all his movements and was also used as a on board media player.

If only I could remember where I read it.......
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Yeah, that seems feasible and even not too difficult. Although, I bet it would be pretty ugly.

Comment

Well this guy built the computer to fit under the seat, and did not have a screen or anything.
        He just used it to log his movements. All the data could later be downloaded and show the routes he had taken etc.
        2002 GSXF 750

Comment

There are under-the-seat GPS units the size of a USB Flash stick these days that you can plug in when you get home -- I remember discussing them in another thread not too long ago.

I'd be weary of anything on my wrist the with that much data (can we say distractions?)...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

not too mention they are god awful ugly...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

They're really not ugly on the wrist next to a leather jacket and gloves with real knuckle protection. On a bare arm though . . . holy **** huge.

As far as all that data on my wrist . . . yeah, it's so awesome. Hehehe

But, as CP said, it really isn't safe. It is far too much of a distraction, even with the backlight engaged.

The main difference between this and recorders is you can see the data as it's happening, such as on the track, as well as analyze when you get home for far less than 200 bucks. Not to mention you can save the route you took to get to the track so that you can find your way home.

Comment

The Garmin 101 is the same unit but runs off of 2 AAA batteries which you can get anywhere and don't have to be plugged into a wall to resume operation. No downtime and if you're on a road trip...

Just something to think about.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

It's kind of the same unit, but the 205 has the higher sensitivity GPS tracker used in the 305, as well as mapping capability, computer connectivity, and multi-sport modes (running and cycling).

Comment

Working...
                  X