X

Hand/Wrist fatigue????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand/Wrist fatigue????

Just curious. With the stock handgrips....on long rides...for 3-6 hours my wrists didn't seem to get as tired as they do now.

I upgraded to pro-grip gel grips, they offer WAY more grip, but seem to cause me major wrist fatigue after 1-2 hours of riding....

Any hints or tricks to resolving my wrist woes? Would wrapping my wrists help any?

It mainly hits my throttle hand/wrist the worst. I usually wear Joe Rocket leather gloves....they are broken in, but do have a small area that tends to bind right at the top of my palm.

I have switched to wearing some cheapy suede fingertipless gloves that have helped a little. I just dont want my wrists to keep hurting after short 1 hour jaunts.

Thanks.
    -Eric
    My sig is boring.

you and I talked about his the other nite.. its odd that it just started out of the blue... it wouldnt hurt to give ur wrists more support by wrapping them.

Did they hurt before at all, while riding, before this started ?

Comment

For any trip longer than one hour i use a throttle rocker. Got mine for $15 canadian

It does wonders for long distance riding. I find these much safer then traditional cruise control gadgets that actually lock the throttle.

Comment

Is it because you're putting too much weight on your wrists ? You KNOW you're not supposed to support your weight with your hands , but with your stomach and back , right ? I just put on my new grips today , and I noticed that they're a little bigger , and my hands seem on the verge of cramping up after a while . I reckon I'll eventually get used to them ...
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah the new grips are a sight more full/bigger than the stock for sure. mine took me some time as well to get used to them, especially the throttle side... u'll find out quickly u dont need to twist as much w/ the bigger grips for the same result as the stock ones

Comment

Yeah , I believe Laura said I got the same ones you did . Seem pretty sticky to the touch , and reletively soft , too .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Ask Range, he knows all about Hand/Wrist fatigue.

When Range gets Hand/Wrist fatigue he just switches hands.

I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

i was having the hand problems you are talking about except it could be do to my gloves being to small. my new ones come on monday so ill see then. none the less i would think biger grips would make them hurt less. but from what you guys say the smaller ones helped out better?

Comment

Well relatively speaking, I am a small guy. I am 5'5 175, short, stocky and wide....so I dont really have a choice in reaching for the grips...for support, some of the time I will use the tank (bad idea I know).

The grips are quite a bit larger than the older ones, making my hands cramp a small bit.

I never had wrist cramps/fatigue before this....even riding 4 wheelers all day....but the bars are different heights.

I am sure I will get used to it over time and such. I am definatley buying a throttle rocker.
                  My sig is boring.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Yeah , I believe Laura said I got the same ones you did . Seem pretty sticky to the touch , and reletively soft , too .
                    yeah, and w/ gloves on as well, its definately a night/day difference. 8)

Comment

On longer rides my hands and wrists get a little bit painful as well, so what I do is slide forward on the seat as much as possible, and try to squeeze the tank with my legs and straighten the back.

This helps to take take some of the weight off my wrists
                      "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

I kept getting numb fingers and hand fatigue so I started using some impact gloves when I road. Made all the difference in the world for me. I've never had wrist problems, but may be worth trying some impact gloves if your hands are fatiguing....worked for me anyways.

TJ
                        2002 R1
                        Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Wrist pain is often from pressure on the nerves (at the carpel tunnel), so anything designed to minimize the pressure is good -- changes in posture (reduce loading of the muscles at the wrist which press on the carpel tunnel), use of gel-palmed gloves (reduce vibration), changes in the control placement (to lend itself to more natural placement compared to where your hands rest) all help. I found changing the seat (Corbin) which lowered my body helped quite a bit, and increasing the bar weight (to reduce vibration) also helped.

PS - the best gel-gloves I've found are Olympia perforated leather ones -- about twice the gel thickness of my other gel-palmed gloves and what I use for long trips.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

good advice...I am looking for some too!
                            Katana 750 2002

Comment

Originally posted by KitKat
                              Ask Range, he knows all about Hand/Wrist fatigue.

When Range gets Hand/Wrist fatigue he just switches hands.

dude...

Comment

Working...
                              X