X

New Helmet Wind Noise Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Helmet Wind Noise Problems

I just picked up a Shoei RF-1000 to replace my current HJC CL-14. I was trying to find something with a better fit and quieter. Went down to the local CycleGear and talked with them, tried on a bunch of lids and eventually decided on an Axis Yellow RF-1000. It fits awesome, it's quiet when I'm sitting up, but as soon as I lay on the tank it's incredibly noisy. Unbearably noisy, did 200 miles with it last weekend and my ears are still ringing. On the ride I was able to determine it's the nose vent. If I cover that with my glove the helmet is nearly silent.

So I'm looking for opinions/experiences. What would ya'll recommend?

TIA
    2001 Katana 600
    1998 Jeep TJ 4.0
    2005 Subaru Impreza STi

Earplugs , or close the vent.

Seriously, most helmets, even the highend ones are louder than recommended for hearing loss saftey levels.
    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
      Earplugs , or close the vent.

Seriously, most helmets, even the highend ones are louder than recommended for hearing loss saftey levels.
      Closing the vent makes no difference in volume, I know it's going to be loud, but this is crazy, my HJC was much quieter when I tucked behind the screen.

I can't find a normal JPG, but here's a gif, you can see how the lower intake is.
      guess it's gonna be earplugs if I can't find anything quieter.
      2001 Katana 600
      1998 Jeep TJ 4.0
      2005 Subaru Impreza STi

Comment

HOw about something to tape up the outside of the vent? Sounds like some sort of airflow turbulence happening in the location your head is in when tucked down. Or perhaps try a different windscreen, maybe like one of the euro screens with the lip at the top. You could simulate it by using some carboard to extend or widen your screen area and taking a test ride.

Good luck, do some experimenting, and let us know what you find!

Comment

Originally posted by ablank
          my HJC was much quieter when I tucked behind the screen.
          As a HJC user I have to say if that's the case that thing must be freakin loud.

Any chance the helmet may have a defective vent? the reason I ask is most people go on how great shoei's are and how quieter, most comfortable etc etc.
          Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by alriclam
            HOw about something to tape up the outside of the vent? Sounds like some sort of airflow turbulence happening in the location your head is in when tucked down. Or perhaps try a different windscreen, maybe like one of the euro screens with the lip at the top. You could simulate it by using some carboard to extend or widen your screen area and taking a test ride.

Good luck, do some experimenting, and let us know what you find!
            If I tape over the vent it's quiet, the airflow is coming up though the forks, if i shift back to where i'm sitting on the passenger seat it's quiet, if i'm seated normally my face is kinda close to guage cluster and there is an updraft through the cowl/fork area that is hitting the bottom of the helmet creating the noise.
            2001 Katana 600
            1998 Jeep TJ 4.0
            2005 Subaru Impreza STi

Comment

Sounds to me like your helmet's too big... Seriously. I went from an HJC CL-14 to a Shoei. The noise difference is AMAZING. The Shoei is MUCH quieter.

Or, it could just be that the Shoei doesn't fit the shape of your head. Every helmet model is different. The key is finding a helmet that fits you before you shell out a ton of cash for it.
              -Steve

Comment

I am sensing squidly behavior. I may be wrong. But then again.........

Comment

I love both of my HJC's, the newest being the CL-14 prime, but I don't dare turn my head in either direction due to a whistling sound coming through the vents. That is at speeds of 75 to 90 mph.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I have one....I love it.
                    I agree too big, mine fits like a glove.

Also, do you have the visor open?
                    That is one thing I found different. I used to ride with my HJC open all the time, the flow is amazing in the Shoei. I mean I really can't ride with the thing open more than a crack, and even that is too much....but then like I said the flow is so much better I don't need too!

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                      Sounds to me like your helmet's too big... Seriously. I went from an HJC CL-14 to a Shoei. The noise difference is AMAZING. The Shoei is MUCH quieter.

Or, it could just be that the Shoei doesn't fit the shape of your head. Every helmet model is different. The key is finding a helmet that fits you before you shell out a ton of cash for it.
                      Definately true about the style/type of helmet not fitting all types of noggins I tried on several lids before I bought my current Altura..and there were more than a few styles and brands which just didnt fit right, nor feel right, even w/ experimenting w/ different sizes on each one

Comment

Hey , with EVERY helmet I've tried (at least 4 or 5) , they were ALL loud when laying on the tank . I think it has something to do with how the wind hits it there . Either stop doing that , suck it up and deal with it , or get earplugs .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well I tried some different things over the weekend, and from what I can tell, when I lay down, the wind is coming down from the top of the helmet. If I shield my hand at the bottom of the visor, over the lower vent, it's silent.
                          Guess it's time for some ear plugs and not doing that any more or trying to find a new windscreen that's a bit taller.
                          Don't think I can go for a smaller helmet, I can barely fit in this one maybe I need a smaller head?

Thanks for all the input.
                          2001 Katana 600
                          1998 Jeep TJ 4.0
                          2005 Subaru Impreza STi

Comment

Working...
                          X