X

Modular Helmets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular Helmets

This is for all you super freak super fly kats out there that have the modular helmet.

I am looking at maybe getting the HJC one, and I was wondering what the wind noise is like on them compared to a regular helmet.

Thanks for the info!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

What is a modular helmet?

Comment

Only person I've ever heard of that has one is CP . Look good in theory for those of us with glasses , but other than that ...
      Modular=flip-up helmets
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Okay, I got it.

I don't like those...something about the thought of it flipping up during an accident if the lock fails.

Comment

I've got one - it's my teaching one (the white one with the cat ears). we use those cuz it's easier to talk to a class of ppl with the thingy flipped up then sounding muffled by trying to talk with a normal full face on.

I find it louder than my other full face helmet.
          but then again, I'm the person who rides a cruiser and half the time wear's a shorty helmet so
          - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

I'd be interested in a personal review of it myself, since Im up for anew lid for next season.

Comment

matt, lou, darin has one its his old helmet, he said the wind noise was annoying but its not a bad looking helmet

Comment

they seem cool, but Im not sure if I would trust them in an accident
                Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
                  they seem cool, but Im not sure if I would trust them in an accident
                  That was the other issue I was concerned about. How much impact pressure can that take before popping open, and scraping on your chin?

I think I'll stick with just the old regular style helmets. I also noticed that the modular helmets do not get a SNELL rating.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

yeah, and that is the biggest factor for me. Snell is the way to go. I think modulars are a cool concept though
                    Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I was looking at those kind of helmets. The DOT will aprove them but the Snell memorial foundation won't because of that fact that it might open up when you hit the ground or something like that. Just go w/ a regular one that is DOT and Snell aproved.

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
                        I don't like those...something about the thought of it flipping up during an accident if the lock fails.

Do some research on those. Helmet reviews address them specifically.

Many have opened on impact* and the chin bar we are used to having protect us, is not a chin bar on those helmets, it's part of the face shield.

Those are NOT considered true full face helmets, they're 3/4 helmets with a flip face. It may look like a chin bar, but it's not what we are used to, nor does it offer the same protection.

*one particularly crappy design has the release button on the bottom of the chin bar, so when your chin whacks your chest, it opens the face sheild. Niiiiiiice......
                        Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
                          Originally posted by AHF

Do some research on those. Helmet reviews address them specifically.

Many have opened on impact* and the chin bar we are used to having protect us, is not a chin bar on those helmets, it's part of the face shield.

Those are NOT considered true full face helmets, they're 3/4 helmets with a flip face. It may look like a chin bar, but it's not what we are used to, nor does it offer the same protection.

*one particularly crappy design has the release button on the bottom of the chin bar, so when your chin whacks your chest, it opens the face sheild. Niiiiiiice......
                          Exactly what I was afraid of, the chin area opening in a crash.

Yup, I will stick with Full Face.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

i have one i got from the local dealership after i had it about 2 weeks it fell off my bike into some large gravel and the screws that hold the flip-up broke out and the whole flip just kinda fell off...

Comment

The Nolan has gotten good reviews mostly, and I would probably trust the Shoei Syncrotech for normal commuting duty.

Lou, go to Aerostitch.com and look at the mad max helmet that includes wire cage over the shield. I think that may be more your style...
                              I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                              X