X

Jacket fitment questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacket fitment questions

I just purchased a new Joe Rocket 4.0 ( I really like it because of the removable water liner and decent amounts of pockets!)

But I had a question about the way it fits.

I am about 5'10", 150-155lbs. When I put the jacket on, it fits GREAT on my shoulders and arms (when I adjust the arm straps to the smallest setting), but beneath my armpits until the adjustable waistband there is about 2-4 inches of just....room. Is that normal? I had always heard you want a TIGHT fit, should I go back and exchange it for an xs?

I just got it yesterday so I have plenty of time to take it back, just curious if thats how most people have their jackets or if a tight fit is recommended.

there might be some room. loose in the sleeves may allow for the armor to roll out of place in case of an accident.

if you go smaller make sure it fits good in the riding position. you don't want it too be too tight that it restricts bloodflow or movement. make sure it doesn;t choke you when zipped up either.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      I think saying that leather offers slightly better protection is like saying oil just helps cool the engine. Can you figure why MotoGP guys with multi million dollar bikes race with track temps over 100 in leather? It's like my B-I-L said about front wheel drive; "If front wheel drive was worth $#@% they would be running them around the banks of Talladega!"

About fit;
      The jacket should give you all the range of motions expected on the bike.
      With arms in the riding position the jacket should feel right, no pinching at all. The arms should reach mid palm unzipped, so they are right at the wrist out stretched (hands on bars).
      Tight fit across the chest off the bike is fine but tight across the back not so good. After all on the bike the back is arched and the gussets should open to allow shoulder movement. The front however should not bunch up.
      The shoulders should not bunch either with arms out and the neck should stay out of the way.
      The waist is the hard part IMO, It should be snug but we are all shaped differently.

I had a Hien Gerrick that was truly amazing, It fit like a glove yet offered full range of motion on or off the bike. I had to give it up as the Arizona sun shrunk it a little and it no longer fit my chest (not the belly as you might think!!) When I looked for a replacement I had trouble finding one that fit my shoulders. I had to go for a 44 chest. I have a 31 waist.

Other notes:
      Wrist zippers should be on the top of the forearm.
      Gussets should be either folded leather or accordion leather.
      In other words the gusset should not expose non leather material.
      All seams should be triple stitched.
      The jacket should be made of as few parts as possible.
      All decoration should be applied to the outside layer not stitched in as part of the layer.
      From here:
      If your going to ride you need good gear!
      Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.

Comment

Don't you love it when you can quote your self BP

Comment

thanks BP, apologies for not using the search function.

I also noticed that the back of my helmet gets caught on the back neck of the jacket when Im trying to tuck (its still mid 30's in lexington).

Comment

Working...
          X