No announcement yet.
X

Helmet lifespan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find absurd that if we throw styrofoam in a landfill, it lasts 100's of years or whatever they say.

As soon as it's put in a helmet, it degrades in 5 years or less??????

Is there any actual, quantifiable proof of this phenomenon from a reliable source?

IMO, it sounds like BS cooked up by the helmet manufacturers so you'll keep buying new gear.

Sort of like software...Microsoft would like you to upgrade your operating system every 3 years so they can get you for another $150.....
    Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

I look at it like it's a necessary expense. Just like gas and oil, or like a five year maintenance checkup. Change tires, new chain, get helmet. You can get a pretty decent one for not a lot of money these days and as long as they have the DOT - Snell approval what's not to love?

Of course I have to admit, I get kind of attached to them. I still have my Nolan that saved my life when I had that highside back in '89.
      Nobody looks back on his or her life and wishes they had spent more time at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
        I find absurd that if we throw styrofoam in a landfill, it lasts 100's of years or whatever they say.

As soon as it's put in a helmet, it degrades in 5 years or less??????

Is there any actual, quantifiable proof of this phenomenon from a reliable source?

IMO, it sounds like BS cooked up by the helmet manufacturers so you'll keep buying new gear.

Sort of like software...Microsoft would like you to upgrade your operating system every 3 years so they can get you for another $150.....
        Is it the styrofoam that is degrading, or the shell though????
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

5 years is what was said at my MSF class, even if you never take it out of the box.

I only have the one skull, and I'm not growing a new one, so is it really that big of a deal to spend $150 (or whatever your price range) to keep it in one piece?

I think not!!!
          "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

IF the shell is compromised in any way, by a hard drop, or in an accident, it should be replace anyways. How many of us can actually say we havent dropped our helmet on the pavement or in the garage, in 5 years ?

Comment

Working...
            X