X

Helmet lifespan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet lifespan?

Can anybody tell me how long a helmet is good for? I geuss the styrofoam degrades after so many years. Any input would be appreciated.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

That's why I don't get styrofoam helmets...ask specifically for fiberglass only

Comment

or carbon fiber
      PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
      The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Well if I were to buy new I would get fiberglass, but this is an old one that I still have.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I think its like 4 years on styrofoam...or less I imagine

Comment

I have to agree, 4 years seems to be what I remember.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I remember 5 years as the number tossed around.
              Kyle

Comment

Thats all? The helmet I have, I had since I was 12. It says "Shwinn" on the side.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

hmm i thougt it was 3 years...
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Also, technically, if you go down on a helmet, or drop it very hard on cement or something, it is technically compromised to some degree. Helmets are made to withstand the initial impact of your head hitting the ground..after you go down or if the helmet is damaged in any way, I'd seriously consider replacing it.

Comment

7 years from MFG date on the lid (see the little sticker)...5 years from date purchased...or after it was dropped.

I replace every two years because I ride quite a bit and crash a lot

Comment

don't they all have styrofoam in them? I wouldn't want my head sitting next to a thick layer of fiberglass or CF without some styrofoam between it and the thin layer of cloth covered foam. I thought the fiberglass, CF or plastic would be the materials the outer shell was made of.

Comment

How long is a helmet good for, hmmm, good question. I say they are good for....

a) 2-3 years realistically if worn regularly.
                          b)until you have money to buy a better one than what your wearing.
                          c)until you find one that is cooler than the one you have and you have the money for it.

......whichever comes first
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Dammit Jim, now I have to pitch all of my helmets LOL
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
                              How long is a helmet good for, hmmm, good question. I say they are good for....

a) 2-3 years realistically if worn regularly.
                              b)until you have money to buy a better one than what your wearing.
                              c)until you find one that is cooler than the one you have and you have the money for it.

......whichever comes first
                              I found a cooler one than the one I had a week after I got it, now the money to buy it, that was a different story

Comment

Working...
                              X