No announcement yet.
X

Why I wear a full-faced helmet.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah during the KY rally my shield was full of bugs from riding along the river and country side.

I just don;t see how people can ride without wearing a helmet. I mean the first time a rock hit my helmet after being thrown from a truck was sobbering enough for me.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
      Looking at that pic, CP, I wonder if this is not the source of some HD misconceptions about wearing a lid.

Okay, the premise is that wearing a helmet does NOT improve your survival odds in a crash.

Now looking at the pics, the area covered by a 'brain bucket' style lid is only impacted in about 4% of all crashes, with the top center part of the head almost never impacted.

So, it would bear true that a person wearing a 'brain bucket' might as well be wearing no helmet at all, since it does not protect the part of a head most often impacted in a crash situation...
      Interesting line of thought I had never considered... a definite possibility.

Note that the percentages for the sample helmet were based on statistics gathered from actual German road-crashes of motorcycles. Also note that the place on Otto's diagram that is given the primary attention for drop-penetration in the DOT and SNELL 2000 tests (the very top of the helmet) is the one seemingly least likely to be impacted.
      Meanwhile, here is the NHTS (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) helmet test data results for 2000 - 2004. Failed in 2004 testing from performance issues were: several Rodia & Zamp models, the MDS RC4, the NEXL 05, the NXT 101, and most suprising to me: the Vemar VRX3.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Those "june bugs" are no joke! I one of them smash into my shield doing about 80mph and I thought it was a rock. I put my visor up after that thinking... this can't happen twice.... all i can say is, june bugs don't taste very good.
        I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
        http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

bugs

you could always put OFF on your face and drive reallllly sloooww!
          Katana 750 2002

Comment

You think June Bugs are bad????

I hit a cloud of May Flies coming across the Mississipps River the other night, that sucked!!!!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Wait 'til you swallow one of these!

They're freakin' delicious.

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Yummy! That does look good!
                I focus on the pain, The only thing thats real.

Comment

Why I wear a full face helmet!

Comment

Working...
                  X