X

It's officially cold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's officially cold

I'm freezin my arse out there. 50 degrees seems to be my limit. Granted, I don't have any boots, gloves or pants.

The lack of pants and boots I can deal with, but my hands are getting chilly and I noticed that the wind is coming in under my helmet, freezing the hell out of my face and causing my eyes to water.

To make matters worse, my shield keeps opening when I turn my head. Ugh. I need new gear.

Cold?? I just took my dog outside (1am) and its 74 degrees.

I can see how 50 would be cold for someone from the south....but your in Washington (?) and 50 is cold for you? You've got rough few months coming up lol
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

heck it was pushing 90 today its almost 1 am and still 77

Comment

Thicker gloves . My leather ones were good down to about 45 . Those were my old gloves , though . They were not vented , and fairly thick leather . STOUT . Heated grips are relatively cheap , too .
        Balaclava . Get one . Like a ski mask for under your helmet .
        And most helmets you can tighten the shield mechanism so they don't open as easily .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Currently 56'F here in Ione, CA. Not a cloud in the sky and zero wind. Still not too bad here.
          GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

It was 86 in NJ yesterday. The kids were playing in the sprinkler. Pretty crazy.

Comment

Search for "Quiet Rider".

This is what I'm looking at getting. Should cut wind noise as well.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

That link didn't quite work, but I had fun flipping through the pages on the website.

Ya, if it gets any lower than 50, I'm going to be done unless I can acquire more gear.

I've lived in Washington my entire life, but I still hate the cold and hate the rain. Ugh.

Comment

Alright, fixed the link. I had two windows open and wasn't paying attention to which one I pulled the link from.

EDIT: Re-edited that post. It doesn't save the search info. Just do a search for "Quiet Rider" and it will bring up what I'm talking about.
                  Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                  -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                  -Terence

Comment

boots gloves = must have items at all times good face masks rock for keeping the head warm .. hoodie under a good lined jacket .. and some leather overpants and you should be good to go
                    so many roads so little time

Comment

I got rain this morning! stupid weather man said it would "start" tonight

JR Ballistic overpants seem to do the trick for the cold, kinda hot in the afternoon but work well in the AM, I just seal the ankles with reflective velcro , the ones for running/biking. Under armor cold gear is a must as well, but i'm in california and tender! talk to the true cold weather guys up north!
                      2001 Katana 600

Comment

Up north? I guess that would be me. Hehe. I've just been using long underwear under the pants and it works pretty well.

But, the lack of gloves and this damn crappy shield are a pain in the arse.

My shaded shield works fine, but the stock, clear shield sucks. I looked and don't think it will tighten.

I will shop around for a neck-warmer thing, though. Can't handle the cold wind whipping up into my face.

Comment

50* means it's time to break out the electrics...
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It was 92 here today, and its still 82 now (8:55pm).
                            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                              50* means it's time to break out the electrics...
                              Heated grips MAYBE . Sissy .
                              First , you need good gloves . Serious leather gloves can be had for $50 or so . No vents or perf'ed stuff (duh ) . That'll help TREMENDOUSLY .
                              Windbreaker stuff is nice from about 50* on down . I throw on the top at maybe 50 , my leather pants do ok down to about 45 . That's when the bottom comes on . That , plus some neck coverage (the balaclava ) does ok down to about 35 or so up to a couple of hours . Below THAT or more than an hour or so , I can still break out the long johns for added comfort . The helmet deal dude mentioned should help a lot , too . Helps keep the wind from going up under your hat . Biggest thing is blocking the wind . 40* may not be cold with a jacket on just standing around , but add in a 35mph wind chill , and suddenly it's 28* . At 60 it'll feel like 25* .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X