X

I think I found my new helmet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I found my new helmet

Got to thinking about things yesterday and it occured to me that with my new boots I now have more invested in protecting my feet than my head. While some will argue there isn't much there worth protecting... ... I'd like to move up a little in protection, function, and comfort. So last night I did a little "webdow" shopping. I checked out the $4-$500 helmets and even looked at the $800 Vemar VSR Carbon just for fun .....SAWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT!

A little more helmet than I can afford this go round I think

Back to reality I think to myself that I've heard lots of good things abut KBC so I check out their lineup..... and there it is..... mmmmmmmmm baby!
    Unique style, Maximum function, meets and exceeds ALL worldwide standards, and in a budget that I just might be able to sweet talk the wife into (IF I replace the pads in my helmet with the next size up so it'll fit her and she gets a new helmet out of the deal too......).

KBC FFR (Flip Front) Performance Street Helmet

Originally posted by KBC spec ad
    The most technically advanced, feature loaded helmet from KBC too date.
    The FFR marks a totally new chapter in KBCs progress as a leading exponent of high quality , feature full, full value helmets.

The FFR is totally 3D engineered from the ground up and is the first KBC to feature our totally new fitment platform, as well as many new patented new technologies and designs.

The FFR has been styled by an international team of in house KBC designers based in north America, the UK and Canada and brings together a mixture of European styling and North American robustness.

The FFR has been designed to offer a helmet that is multifunctional, weather used for Sports Touring, Cruising, High Speed or just around town riding. The helmet is perfectly at home with the front face shield in the Up or down position as the helmet is perfectly balanced and can be ridden with the face guard open, even at high speeds, with no noticeable drag or lift, this due to the low center of gravity provided due to the MagCam system which allows the face guard to move into a lower position when opened and to click into a firm open position.

A series of internal ventilation and cooling ducts are engineered throughout the inner EPS lining which actively distribute new air taken from the controllable air intakes and remove the stale used air via rear exhausts in the shell and lower rear lining.

The interior is designed for maximum comfort and durability, wicks away moisture and provides a superb level of noise reduction and wind noise control. Fully removable, washable and replaceable for added value and long life.

Features Overview:

- Hi Impact Solvent Resistant Alloy PC Shell
    - Single Button Opening System for safe and easy rider use
    - Mag Cam opening and Locking system for safer riding when open
    - Magnesuim and meatl locking system for high lever of quality and security
    - Reduced overall shell dimensions
    - 2 mm Scratch resistant moulded visor
    - Quick Removal Visor mechanism (No Tools)
    - Totally New fitment platform for ultimate wearer comfort
    - Totally new internal comfort lining design for comfort and noise reduction
    - New Controllable Air Ventilation and Cooling System
    - Meets or Exceeds All major worldwide safety standards and tests
    It's still not a top of the line helmet but the price is right in the $200 range. I wear glasses and the flip front is something I've really wanted. And would you just look at it! Oh yes... you will be mine!
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

KBC makes great helmets IMO. I don't have the flip front one but I do have a VR-1 and I love it. It's actually quieter than my Shoei RF-1000. That carbon one looks awesome. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you get one.

Comment

Diggin' the blue/gray color scheme . My 2 favorite colors !
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Nice lid, Wouldn't even think it was a flip up from the other pics of it.

The KBC VR-1 Euro is on my short list for a new lid this season, So I'd be interested in what you think of it when/if you get it.
        Kyle

Comment

That is a sweet helmet for sure! Killer for the price.
          Let us know how you like it after a few miles.
          I ride, therefore I am.

Comment

Those look really sharp Jim, and that price isn't too bad.
            Nicks talking about getting a new helmet this year, I'll show him those.

Comment

That carbon lid is freekin awesome Jim.. Wow !! but yeah, my checkbook wont allow me that luxury right now either.

You cant go wrong w/ KBC, or scorpion lids for that matter. They are very reasonably priced and top notch quality and comfort.

I love the flip front lids, man I want one of those!

Comment

Jim you do composite work right? Just go lay up a few of those carbon lids and sell them on e-bay.

Comment

I can't tell Jim, is it a 2 lock mechanism for the flip up?

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
                    I can't tell Jim, is it a 2 lock mechanism for the flip up?
                    Do you mean does it take two hands to open it? or do you mean does it lock on both sides of the helmet?

According to the spec ad the helmet can be opened with one hand which is a big plus. I don't know exactly how the mechanism works but it states that it uses a "magnesium and metal locking system for higher level of quality" which I'm guessing is also at least a part of what helped them pass testing beyond DOT. One of the main turn off's for me in the flip face helmets is that most of them are only DOT approved which is nice but it ain't enough to set my mind at ease.

I have a very strong feeling that you will get a full review on this helmet very soon

Comment

No....ummm, I'm not sure if it's a standard for all or something I saw on a Shoei. You can open it with one hand, but you have two locks. Basically when you grab, your thumb is on one button and your forefinger is on another. When you squeeze to lift, it unlocks both locks. It's an extra safety measure in case one lock fails, you have a backup just to make sure the face doesn't come up during a crash.

Comment

wow - I really like that carbon one!!!
                        I too will be in the market for a new helmet soon. wish I could afford that one!!
                        - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
                          No....ummm, I'm not sure if it's a standard for all or something I saw on a Shoei. You can open it with one hand, but you have two locks. Basically when you grab, your thumb is on one button and your forefinger is on another. When you squeeze to lift, it unlocks both locks. It's an extra safety measure in case one lock fails, you have a backup just to make sure the face doesn't come up during a crash.
                          Ahhh....I see what you mean. That is a very good question, I'm not sure exactly how the lock mechanism works but that's something I'll be looking into.

Comment

Hey Jim, do you have a link for those other helmets you showed pics of? I would like to see what different colors they have.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Both look awesome!! The blue/grey scheme is especially sweet.

Personally I'm not a fan of the flip-ups , but THAT one really looks good! 8)

I say go with the CF one tho.... BE DIFFERENT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X