X

Questions about armor and boots???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about armor and boots???

First off, do motorcycle boots immobilize the ankle kind of like ski boots before you put on skis? Is it hard to walk in them?

Second, My girlfriend bought me a motorcycle jacket this past christmas, but i didn't realize it was a "for fashion" motorcycle jacket from Wilson's leather. So i was looking around and thought i could just get some armor to wear under it. This way i would not have to buy both a new summer riding jacket as well as a winter riding jacket.What do you guys think about just wearing armor under a jacket? I figured it would help keep me a little more warm in the colder months, and it might not be too hot in the summer( i'm not sure about that though) I don't have any experience with armor like this. What are your opinions?

P.S. This is the armor i was looking at. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...108&division=1
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

While buying some of that armor is a definate alternative and a good idea if you chose to keep the jacket your gf bought you, "fashion" leather jackets are not designed for sport riding. They are usually cut differently compared to an actual motorcycle jacket and will not fit as tightly as it should to be effective in the event of a crash. Plus it will probably be uncomfortable while on the bike.

As for riding boots, they are somewhat like a ski boot, but not nearly as uncomfortable. You can walk in them quite easily.
    Go to a dealer and try some on. All brands tend to fit differently.

Comment

Junior is 100% correct but to also add the stitching on a "fashion" jacket is also not as durable. Most jackets for crash purpose have double if not triple stitching and also the thread used is many times of Kevlar or other durable thread.

As for boots it depends on what you buy. I found that the Icon boots, Super Duty2's are not as restictive as the Field Armor boots they make. But is saying this I would rather crash in my Field Armor Boots than my Super Duty2 boots..just because the Field Armor provide more protection in the ankle and leg area than the Super Dutys...Now if you go for a riding boot they all fit different so make sure you try them on first.
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

For the price of that armor, you could probably find a leather jacket and a mesh jacket (combined price) fully armored give or take a few bucks. Check out e-bay for some great deals. While the under armor is better than nothing at all, I think you would be better off with an armored jacket. I recommend you go to a nearby shop and check out the fit of the jackets so you get the correct size in mind, then order away.

I recommend Joe Rocket, Teknic, Shift, AGV, Fieldsheer, MotoGP, and Icon. I am sure I missed some but those are some.

Here is a killer deal on a mesh and that was searching about 10 seconds on e-bay. Not sure what size you wear but there are killer deals on e-bay. Buying used is an option too and you could probably save even more that way.

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

If you do choose to keep the jacket your gf bought you, if has pockets for armor, www.highvelocitygear.com has some armor you can buy by itself. It runs $19.99 for the soft armor and $24.99 for the hard armor.

Comment

As you ride more and more you will find that you will problably end up owning multiple jackets and boots for different situations. Protection and comfort out weigh the cost.

Comment

Working...
            X