X

Boots or Jacket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots or Jacket

The circumstances: right now I can only afford one (money is tight), I already have the High Velocity Gear armored shirt and the typical newb gear, jeans and tennis shoes. So my question is which one should I get. Should I stick with the armored shirt and get more protection for my feet and ankles, or should I get the protection for my torso and stick with almost no protection for my feet and ankles. I am looking at getting the Setup Vision Race Boots and the Teknic Chicane Perforated Leather Sport Jacket. The boots run $129.99 normal price and the jacket is on closeout for $149. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

go with the boots and get the jacket asap!
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Look around the net for deals on the boots and jacket...Both are important part of your gear....the boots will protect not only in a crash but if you have ever been hit with a rock at 60mph you'll be happy the feet were protected. The jacket well you know what that does...So since you are still in tennis shoes..get the boots and work on getting the jacket asap...Another alternative would be buy the jacket and get some steel toed work boots at Payless or Walmart...they run under $40 and provide more protection than the standard tennis shoe...
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

that is a tough question. I did what Jax suggested. I bought my jacket and bought a cheap pair of leather boots until i could afford riding boots. I had my crash last summer in the boots and they literally saved my right foot, i would have ground off a few toes if i had my tennis shoes on.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

I'd go with Jax on the Walmart, Target boot thing (anything leather over the ankle), but the jacket would be the first purchase. Newenough has some really good closeouts on jackets right now. I vote for jacket first, boots second.

Thaz, LOVE the new avatar!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
            classic Cali action bro.

look at newenough.com for good deals!
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
              I'd go with Jax on the Walmart, Target boot thing (anything leather over the ankle), but the jacket would be the first purchase. Newenough has some really good closeouts on jackets right now. I vote for jacket first, boots second.

Also, motorcyclecloseouts.com has great deals as well as great deals on e-bay.
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

A question is rolling around in my head and I was wondering, redkat what gear are you currently riding in? I understand you have the armor shirt but what else do you have?

In my opinion, and this is just my two cents. Required gear is:
                Full Face Helmet
                Leather palm full finger Gloves (leather palms at minimum)
                Armored Jacket (leather, textile or mesh)
                Leather Boots (work boots at the minimum)
                Pants (reinforced Kevlar textile/denim or leather)

This is the minimal gear you should have when ever you go out for a ride...It's like the seatbelt in your car. Maybe I'm extreme but you have to protect yourself..road rash looks nasty and I've heard hurts like a mother...I have never experienced it but I've had rug burns on the knees and that didn't feel too good...So protect yourself...
                Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084

Comment

Well I have a full face helmet and leather gloves, and right now I have an armored shirt, but that is it. I know denim might as well be skin but I'm ordering the right gear as fast as I can. I just ordered a boots and a jacket from motorcyclecloseouts.com and should be here in 4-7 business days. So that brings my gear list to:
                  *Jacket: FieldSheer Sport Leather Jacket (red and black) It's un aromored but I'm buying armor for it when I get some more money, but in the meantime I have the armored shirt
                  *Boots: Oxtar TCS Sport Racing Boots (red and black)
                  *Full face helmet: KBC Force-S (red and black tribal)
                  *Gloves: AGVSport something or other model (grayish color), they have leather palms, carbon knouckle cover and spandexy material between the fingers, I'm upgrading soon
                  *The aromored shirt
                  *Jeans I'm upgrading those asap

Comment

Great!! Good to hear that you are getting all safety on us!!

Seriously good job so now it's pants and armor and your are all set..

Comment

Jax I got the shield protectors today. Thanks for them and the KR magnets!
                      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                      JOHN 16:33

Comment

I picked up the Red Tourmaster jacket at New Enough on their closeout page and I love it. You can get some super deals here:

I also have a (twenty pound with armor) Field Sheer jacked that's awesome. So I think you probably made a good buy there.

Cheers,

Brian
                        --
                        Brian Johnson
                        http://brianjo.spaces.live.com

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
                          Jax I got the shield protectors today. Thanks for them and the KR magnets!
                          Your Welcome...hope you enjoy them..Also I think you got the last of the different color tighteners..I think the colors are green, orange and black...now you can color code your shields...

Comment

Rash on your arms and/or back is uncomfortable.

Tear your feet up and you can't walk.

I know which choice I would make.
                            I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Well , I've had 2 wrecks that I'd consider "actual" wrecks , and in BOTH of those instances , it was a good jacket I wished I'd had (one case I had a mesh jacket that MAY have not fitted as well as it SHOULD have ) . And in BOTH cases I had NO worries about my feet . Hell , one wreck was bouncing off a retaining wall at 60-ish MPH and sliding down the highway for .... a while . and THAT was in tennis shoes . You could probably get away with "sturdy" shoes that have decent ankle protection . But in both of MY wrecks , a good jacket would've been MUCH nicer than boots ...... Just sayin if that's what it came down to .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X