X

Scorpion exo-700 helmet review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpion exo-700 helmet review

I was searching for a new helmet. After doing a lot of research, I decided to get a Scorpion. Two of the latest motorcycle magazines had given it some really good words. I found a place online for $179. http://store.roadridermca.com/index.html . Shipping only took three days.
    It came with a nylon type helmet bag, more like a dust cover, but it was a nice extra. Taking it out of the box, I was impressed with the quality. It looks to be put together quite well. The graphics looked very nice, and put on well. It has alot of vents on it, most are closeable.
    Now for the ride. The helmet fit really good on my nog. I liked that the strap had a snap on it for when you get it tight, you can snap it so it doesn't flop around. It was a little chilly when I rode with it the first time. I did notice a little fogging on the lens. I did not try out the clear lens that came with it, I ordered a mirror lens and a blue irridium lens. Mirror lens was used on the ride. Closing the vents did not seem to affect the fogging. Fogging only occured while stopped or going slow. I just opened the lens to the first notch, and it was ok. The first notch is a little higher then I would prefer, but it's not terrible. The lens changing system worked rather easy. I don't see changing a lens in ten seconds as the company claims, but around a minute is about what I was able to do. Another note about the lens, the blue one seemed to have problems in the color pattern, not a problem with looking through it, more just the way it looks outside. The color was not uniform, like it had oil on it or something. Multiple tries at cleaning it did not do any good, so I can't really recommend the blue lens. The mirror lens was great. Vision out of the helmet was also good.
    The helmet was pretty quite at slow speeds. Above 45 mph I could hear a little turbulance noise that got a little louder the faster I went. All in all, the noise wasn't too bad.
    The vents let in gobs of air, will be nice when the temp is high. It was around 45 when I rode with the helmet and closing all the vents, the helmet was plenty warm. A little air did come in from under the chin, but it wasn't bad. I couldn't tell if closing the vents made any difference in the noise levels.
    Overall, I am real happy with this helmet, I can see getting another one for the old lady some day. At $179, I don't think you will find a better helmet. I can highly reccomend the scorpion exo-700.
    Attached Files
    Common sense is great, it's just not all that common.

thanks for the review, BTW the helmet looks great with the bike!

Comment

Originally posted by KatDan2
      thanks for the review, BTW the helmet looks great with the bike!
      +1...but it still needs a solocowl!

Comment

Thank you for the review.

I need a new lid so I've started reading review on these one. Most reviews online are very good. And the Scorpion is cheaper than the OGK FF4 that I'd like. Since you actually have one I have some questions .

What was your old helmet and how does this compare noise wise. I have an HJC FG-12 and it seemed to be louder my 2nd season with it. Either that or I was just riding faster .

Is thier sizing accurate? Sadly the chances of finding one up here are slim to try out for fit. I guess I'll be emailing scorpion to see if there is any Ontario dealers yet.

Any problems with highspeed shoulder checks? I'm talking 140km/h (85MPH+) My HCJ has an annoying problem of the visor flying open when doing a shoulder check on the highway.
        Kyle

Comment

Woobie,
          My old helmet was a KBC TK-8 that came with the bike. The helmet itself is alot more quite then my KBC. The only noise I get is from going 45 plus, wind noise from the outside. It's not bad, even with the noise, it is still better then my old helmet. Size, I wear a size 7 3/8 hat. I think the web site indicated that a large was for 7 1/4 - 7 3/8. I think if I was a size 7 1/4 I might go with a medium. Hard to tell, wish you could try one on. Mine fits real good on me and I have a large. And on the speed thing, I don't really know. Only have my permit, can't go on the highway without my license. Only been up to about 65, I had no problems at that speed. Hope that helps.
          Oh, and the solo cowl will be on it soon. Need to finish purchasing the rest of my gear first

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be emailing them to see if they have dealers up here yet. And I'll check the site to see if they have any dealers close to the border . It'll just be another excuse for a little road trip .
            Kyle

Comment

A friend of mine also did a review..he had a helluva time trying to find a dealer anywhere near him that was selling them so he could try them on. But he swears by it, will never own anything but a scorpion again.

Comment

The helmet looks great with the bike....nice!!
                Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Comment

nice looking shovel too

just kidding, nice lid. i was waiting for a review. i may be looking into that brand now.
                    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

I purchased the EX-400 octane helmet from scorpion and love it. I had an old Nolan before and this helmet rocks. It does a good job of not fogging up in the morning, and it feels great. I did have to go one size down compared to my Nolan. But I really like the look and feel. I have gotten up to 100 and it has hardly and noise. I would reccomend it if you can find a dealer to try one on. I tried both the HJC and KBC and liked this a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                      X