X

motorcycle jackets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorcycle jackets

so i have been looking at bike jackets and cannot decide if it is worth it or not. so what is everyone's opinon? i have been looking at the joe rocket since they seem to be the most affordable.

Do you mean a specific one is worth it or anything at all?

I firmly believe that a motorcycle specific jacket is necessary if you get on the bike for more than just a run around the subdivision. I always wear leather over the ankle boots, proper gloves, a helmet, and my Joe Rocket Phoenix when I ride.

For me it is about acceptable risks. I try to minimize them. If I was railing alot, or on a track I would insist on full leathers. Most of my riding is commuting, and the jeans are an acceptable risk for me in that arena. I am planning on adding some pants and a warmer all-weather jacket.

Jackets are worth it. Ask anyone here who has gone down in their gear.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

Do you enjoy wearing short sleeved shirts without people looking at you like your a freak of nature because your arms look like dried hamburger?

Do you enjoy being able to bend your arm at the elbow?

Do you like being able to take off your shirt in front of your lover without having to explain why you no longer have a nipple?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions then ....uhm what was your question again?

Motorcycle Leather is best, Motorcycle textiles and mesh are good, Dress leather is O.K., Denim is so-so, cotton shirts are foolish.
      Figure out where your budget and sensability fit in that scale and go from there.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

damn you guys are fast at responding. lol. i so far have the boots and helmet. i can grab my other riding gloves if need be.
        as for the jackets i was curious first as to if they are worth getting, then i was curious about what people reccomend for specific jackets. i am the same about the jeans since i bought this bike just to have for fun and transportation not the racing and trying to get myself killed. i know when my dad road he had a jacket but thats because it was a package deal with his helmet. when i road dirt i had the full setup chest protector knee elbow etc....

Comment

Jackets and gloves are worth every penny. Even if you never go down the protection that they provide from stones and debris make them a good idea. I would also make sure that you have a good set of boots. Good heavy duty work boots will work, but sometimes the thick toes make it difficult to get under the shift lever.

Comment

I wear Fieldsheer perforated leather jacket and pants every time I ride. Love the set and feel naked without them.

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
              I wear Fieldsheer perforated leather jacket and pants every time I ride. Love the set and feel naked without them.
              ewwwww Jim naked. Thanks for that image.

Fieldsheer makes nice jackets. I have a textile and a mesh jacket from them and I have been happy with both of them.

Comment

The simple answer to your question would be Yes they are worth it. The first question that you should ask yourself is "do I like my skin". Once you have answered that question you will now know the reason to get a good Jacket. It does not take a lot of speed to remove all the skin from your arm and replace it with some permanent scars. Riding around in a T-Shirt may make you look cool but you will not be as cool when you have arms that are gouged and scared from a low speed slide.
                If you sign up for an MSF course you will soon find that to take the course you must be wearing all gear and that includes a Jacket.

If you are looking for something that has a great reputation and is affordable then yes the Joe Rocket line is a good start. They have a nice line of textile jackets that have lots of ventalation, as well as some great leather.
                Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

how hot do the jackets get? when i get one i am going need one that stays cool for those trips down to the beach house. i was looking at the joe rocket ballistics they look like they would stay cool. by the sounds of it i better make my gf buy a jacket also.

Comment

ANY jacket in the summer time is going to make you hot at a stop. Once your moving the air comes right through most jackets by design or flaw and your fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SurfinCR
                      how hot do the jackets get? when i get one i am going need one that stays cool for those trips down to the beach house. i was looking at the joe rocket ballistics they look like they would stay cool. by the sounds of it i better make my gf buy a jacket also.
                      go to www.newenough.com and click on the closeouts. they have MESH jackets going for 65$. Mesh is better for hot temps and it will provide you with protection. You need a jacket regardless of why you got your bike. You could be the most repsonble rider out there, but if a car hits you, you cant do anything about it. Who says you dont hit oil, or sand and fall.

Better safe than sorry. At least a jacket, gloves and boots need to be worn. and motorcycle ones, not regular gloves and boots.

If you search the web you can find great deals. Try newenough (they are new products not used) and Ive also found www.cycledeals.com to be good as well
                      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

sadly enough thats what i thought. no stopping to look at the scenary for me. oh well i'll just have to look while i am on the board waiting for the waves so anywho what is everyones recomendations for jackets?
                        thankfully or unthankfully depending on how you look at it i have street racing boots that were given to me they are old styled axo's but they will still hold their own. for gloves i was planning on just using my dirt gloves and eventually finding some street.

Comment

Joe Rockets upper level stuff is good. I have been real happy with Fieldsheer, Alpinestars makes some good quality gear, teknic seems to hold it's own pretty well, dianese and Vanson you can't afford so don't even look.

Check new enough and read their reviews. They are honest, not paid. Go try on different brands at a local dealer to see what your sizes are (brands will vary size) and then shop NewEnough or ebay motors. to find the best deal on the style you like.

Moving this thread to "gearing up"

Comment

been doing exactly that plus the thing is right now i cant ride so i have a chance to save, however the deals seem to be going on now. i think i will def. have to take a ride to the bike shop to check the size out since there have been a few on ebay i like.

Comment

Some of the best deals are to be had now as this is considered the "off season". The price doesn't chance that much though, unless you get a close out deal.

As for your girlfriend, she should have the same basic equipment if she is going to ride along with you. Basic protection is cheap. My wife has only ridden with me twice because we haven't been able to get her a proper jacket yet. She has leather boots and a leather jacket, but there is a big difference between "fashion leather" and motorcycle jackets. She also wants a different helmet. Try the stuff on in different brands and models, as sizing will vary model to model. Figure out what you want, and go get it online.
                              AMA member # 224227

Comment

Working...
                              X