X

Washing your non-removable helmet liner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing your non-removable helmet liner

In light of a recent thread hijack ( http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...211&highlight= )I thought that I would repost this reply I received when I contacted Shoei about cleaning the non-removable helmet liner in my TZ-1 helmet:

Originally posted by Shoei Safety Helmet Corp
    fill a bucket or something else that the entire helmet can be submerged into with water. Add a cap
    full of a mild detergent such as Woolite. Remove the shield from the helmet and submerge the
    helmet into the solution and massage the padding to clense it. Remove the helmet and rinse the
    padding completely removing all off the cleaning solution. Now gently press the padding to remove
    excess water and place a dryer sheet such as Bounce in the bottom of the helmet. Lay the helmet on
    it's side or back and aim a fan (not a blow dryer or other heated air) into the bottom of the
    helmet blowing air through the dryer sheet and onto the padding. Do this until dry.

Best Regards,

Shoei Safety Helmet Corp

I know many have taken their helmets into the shower with them, kill 2 birds with 1 stone that way

Routine washing of your helmet liner, atleast a couple times a year really helps keep them feeling nice and comfortable and not smelling like sweat all the time In between washing the liner, some febrees works well too.

Comment

I guess using a pressure washer was a little overkill then huh..

Comment

Actually it can damage the liner.

Comment

I've yet to need to do it, but when I do do it that sounds pretty good.
          "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."
          http://www.putfile.com/91750frider/images/6658

Comment

there was an article in one of the mags last month about this, some other helmet manufacturers also recommend baby shampoo. they say you will likely never get ALL the soap out, and it won't burn your eyes when you sweat in your lid.

Comment

I have washed my helmet by removing the visor and taking it in the shower and filling it with warm water, then dump it and wash with shampoo, fill again rinse, repeat. Then blot the liner with a towel or paper towels and let dry or you could use a hair dryer on warm setting NOT HOT to speed up the drying time. It smells and feels great and be prepared to get grossed out by the color of the water after you soap it up
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

good info, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
                  I have washed my helmet by removing the visor and taking it in the shower and filling it with warm water, then dump it and wash with shampoo, fill again rinse, repeat. Then blot the liner with a towel or paper towels and let dry or you could use a hair dryer on warm setting NOT HOT to speed up the drying time. It smells and feels great and be prepared to get grossed out by the color of the water after you soap it up

After you wash out all the sweat and dirt, you wonder how in the world you let that thing go on your head for long before cleaning it

Comment

Sticky?

I guess I never thought of the full on washing aproch..
                    Makes sense..

Comment

At the Rally NitrousGuy threw his in the dishwasher, minus the visor I think. and it came out quite clean.

Of course he didn't wash it and the dishes at the same time .
                      Kyle

Comment

I am not sure if I like the idea of exposing the liner to that kind of heat and chemicals. The baby shampoo idea makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                        X