X

Whats good weather for what gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats good weather for what gear

I live in Texas and i am about to buy my gear ...its not real cold here ...i am thinking about getting mesh or something
    06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

Consider perforated leather or tight-weave mesh.

Mesh came in generations effectively (according to Rider Mag), with the first generation being very large strands and very open weaves, which unfortunately let a lot of debris in during accidents. Second generation improved on that, going to medium weaves with medium holes and adding more padding. The third generation arrived with much smaller strands and tighter weaves (manufacturers figured out if you're moving, you don't need very large holes to let air get thru), plus add-on coverage in key areas to help impacts even better. For skinnier guys, Icon TiMax jackets are a good choice, and newenough.com has the last year's TiMax jackets (third-generation design) for around $120 right now.
    The fourth-gen mesh jackets are effectively like the third gen, but include zip-in panels for rain and decreasing temps.

Or you can go whole-hog and go for fully perforated leather, which is marginally hotter when standing still (about equal when riding as long as you're not wearing a back-pack), but gives much better performance in a crash. This is the route I've gone consistently, with Joe Rocket Sonic perforated and Joe Rocket Blaster Perforated jackets. The sonic isn't as stylish nor quite as heavily padded in the chest, but has a zip-in liner that kills colder weather down to 55 degrees or so (not a part of the Blaster), and is better-constructed in terms of wrist closures (I had to have the Blaster altered to add a snap-closure strap at the wrists to keep the wrist zippers from climbing in motion).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my Joe Rocket jacket came with a removable vest and plenty of vippers to let air in. When I crashed my bike doing 70mph the only thing that happened to the jacket was a lost button cover. Still wear it everyday. If it can stand up the that then in my eyes it is worth telling everyone about.

Comment

Working...
      X