Motorcycle jacket with built in air bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle jacket with built in air bag

The link to the articl is here:

(Business 2.0 Magazine) - The Seemingly Unsolvable Problem: Kenji Takeuchi used to drive his car every morning to Mugen Denko, the electrical services company he founded in Nagoya, Japan.

One day in 1994, he witnessed a motorcycle accident along the way: The rider flew into the air and landed hard on the ground. Questions flooded Takeuchi's brain: "What if he has a family? How will his wife or girlfriend feel?" And then the one that would preoccupy him for the next decade: "How can I protect someone in a motorcycle crash?"

The jacket's airbag inflates when a cord connecting it to the bike is pulled with sufficient force.

The Great "Aha!": An airbag on the motorcycle wouldn't do. After all, riders usually fall far from their bikes in a crash. Takeuchi learned that upper-body impacts cause 90 percent of fatalities and serious injuries in traffic accidents, so he thought about sewing an airbag into a motorcycle jacket. But how to make it inflate before the rider hits the pavement?

While he was pondering that challenge, a friend invited him to go scuba diving. Takeuchi declined, but he noticed his friend's unusual vest. It had a key ring that, when pulled, would cause an emergency buoy to inflate and rise to the surface.

Takeuchi's company built its first prototype jacket in 1996. Like eventual production versions, it had an airbag inside that inflated automatically when a pin connecting the jacket to the bike was forcefully pulled from its socket. (A one-touch release button allows riders to get off their bikes without inflating the bags.)

But when Takeuchi took his invention to motorcycle shows in Tokyo and Osaka, bike manufacturers shunned him. "They thought the jacket would remind people that riding a motorcycle was dangerous," he says.

The Payoff: Undeterred, Takeuchi began selling the jackets in Japan in 1999 under the name Eggparka; in 2001 he relaunched the brand as Hit-Air. Today, Mugen Denko sells 16 styles of airbag-equipped motorcycle jackets and vests for about $270 apiece in Asia, Australia, Europe, and South America. (Product liability laws have been an obstacle in the United States.)

In 2003 the police department of Japan's Ibaragi Prefecture adopted Hit-Air vests for its motorcycle force, and Brazilian motorcyclist Jean De Azevedo, who finished seventh in the 2005 Paris-Dakar Rally, had a Hit-Air jacket custom-made for the race.

Total revenues from Hit-Air products reached about $1.5 million in 2005, and Takeuchi says his interest in safety products hasn't let up: He's currently working on extra protection for people on bicycles, skis, and skates, as well as for medical rescue personnel.

But he's proudest of the testimonials he's received from Hit-Air buyers. As one happy Japanese customer reports, "I should be dead."

To send a letter to the editor about this story

That would kinda be funny in a way to see someone flying through the air and their jacket just puffs up with air really quick. but if it saves you a$$ i would rather look funny flying through the air and still be alive.

Comment

there testin airbags on some honda crusers. its funny lookin and really i dont understand the point of them. Yes im slow but not that slow lol
      "No regrets, that's my motto. Well... that and everyone Wang Chung tonight." -Out Cold 2001

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynKat
        there testin airbags on some honda crusers. its funny lookin and really i dont understand the point of them. Yes im slow but not that slow lol
        Yeah, the Goldwing. There's no real point IMO. I've seen a head on collision simulation where it seems to come in very handy, but for any other type of accident on the bike it would be useless. Probably more of a marketing gimic then anything else. Maybe more husbands can convince their wives that their motorcycle is very safe because of the airbag

The jacket, on the other hand, sounds like it might have potential if it actually works. That's a fairly large caveat though
        ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

very interesting concept. I was looking at the site....they even have some nice styles of jackets.

ヒットエアーは、バイクや乗馬などのライダー自身が着用するエアバッグシステムで、事故でライダーが飛ばされた瞬間にエアバッグが作動・展開し、首・背中・胸・脇・尻を守ります。
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yellow200Kat

I've seen a head on collision simulation where it seems to come in very handy, but for any other type of accident on the bike it would be useless.
            You said it yourslef, it comes handy in head on collision. Some protection is better than nothing.

If the Police in Japan using it, I will trust it.
            Why it is not allowed in the US, I don't know

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              very interesting concept. I was looking at the site....they even have some nice styles of jackets.

http://www.hit-air.com/english/main.html

This type of technology has been tested before but nothing has really come of it to this point that I know of, its something to be on the lookout for that sooner or later will probably be a staple in motorcycle gear.

Comment

Just think of the laugh you'll have when your buddy forgets to unhook himself from the bike...POOF! Staypuff marshmellow man!
                I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if they were available in the US.

I wonder if I could have a friend in the UK get one and ship it to me.....
                  I love my Kat!!
                  2000 burgandy 750

Comment

Originally posted by Katlover13
                    I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if they were available in the US.

I wonder if I could have a friend in the UK get one and ship it to me.....
                    I'd like to see a universal attachment/connector to existing jackets. But, even so, I'm very interested.

Comment

These jackets are available in Denmark, I remember when I took my license our instructor showed us one and how it worked.

I must say it seemed to do the job very well, and it seemed to offer a lot better protection for the neck since there is an airbag around that area aswell.

And, by the way.. There are no _accidental_ releases even if you get off the bike and forget the wire, it takes quite an amount of force to release it.. So unless you get off the bike and start running you'll notice it

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                        Originally posted by Mojoe

http://www.hit-air.com/english/main.html
                        Me too! I would pick one of those up for sure.

Comment

The news article said it was US product liability law that was presenting a problem. Lawyers have their hands in everything. Sheesh. Guess if the jacket made it to the States, they would lose out on motorcycle injury suit income.

Seems like a brilliant idea even if it doesn't work. I'd buy one for my commuting.

Comment

I did talk to my friend in the UK and he said it would be no problem getting one of these to me . Shipping would be about 50 bux.

however while searching around, I fould this site located in Georgia....

and this announcement : " The Atlanta Georgia-based PEDCO distribution company and its subordinate company, Bikebone, have announced that they are the exclusive North America distributor of the leading-edge series of Hit-Air Riding Jackets. "

It now looks like we can get them in the US!! woot!!

They range in price from about 400 up to 700$ depending on the model with replacement gas cartridges at 15$ a pop.
                            I love my Kat!!
                            2000 burgandy 750

Comment

very impressive

Comment

Working...
                              X