X

Concours vs. FJR1300

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concours vs. FJR1300

I have ridden two Concours in the past, one was an '89 model with 80k and felt very solid even with that many miles, and a '05 which seemed equally impressive. Now, I haven't ridden the Yamaha FJR1300. Anyone have seat time on the FJR that can provide feedback. I currently ride a Kat1100 so weight doesn't bother me.
    Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

You should check out a second gen Connie, not that old one with the 1000cc motor.
    I drive a '11 Connie and it is superior in every area to my '91 katana 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
      I drive a '11 Connie and it is superior in every area to my '91 katana 1100.
      Seriously ... in every area??? Surely there hasn't been that much gain in the last 20 years.

The Kwaka is the intercontinental ballistic missile of sports tourers ... a serious sports bike comfortable enough to sit on all day.
      Both are easy care and clean shaft drive.
      The Yammy is currently an updated package that began life 11 years ago - the Kwaka is more fresh.
      Neither bike is slow. Both engines are smooth and strong - but the Kwaka has significantly more poke.
      I can't get past the 5 speed tranny on the Yammy - it could easily pull a taller gear.

I know people with both bikes. Both owners are extremely happy with their rides. The bike specs / characteristics / strengths kinda match the riders.

For my own "one day wish list", the FJR has been removed - at least until it gains a sixth gear. The GTR is still a strong contender ... although insurance premiums are a killer.
      Last edited by TRPUT; 10-23-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I'm planning on owning a concours 14 in 2 years if everything goes well. Haven't ridden one yet, but the specs on paper are near-orgasmic, and the 08' I checked out at the dealership tickled my manly bits quite a bit.

Would be nice to read more about them from the perspective of people who own them and ride them often.

Comment

Of the two bikes mentioned, I'd go for a ZZR1200...I know, I know...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Sure the connie 14 cost more and has more power .
            If your in a pinch for money the FJR will work out just fine , one great tourer .

Comment

FJR seems to be more upright and shorter wheelbase than the newer Concourse 1400. Both generate significant heat between legs.

I still prefer my old school sport bike seating on my Blackbird, good,oldays before governed FI on bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                Sure the connie 14 cost more and has more power .
                If your in a pinch for money the FJR will work out just fine , one great tourer .
                The C14 is so good that my '91 Katana 1100 sat gathering dust in the garage for the past year and a half. Heck, I have last years registration sticker still on my desk, never put it on.
                I just got the old kitty running today for the first time in, idk, 15 months?
                The connie is an incredible bike- stock, it has a faster 1/4 mile time than the kat 1100. I sent the ecm out to Guhl to have the flies open sooner and it is now a tq monster. Yet, put it in eco mode and it can get 50mpg.

Comment

Working...
                X