No announcement yet.
X

HELP! 98 Bandit 1200 or 90 Katana 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 98 Bandit 1200 or 90 Katana 750?

I could get a 98 Bandit 1200 (waiting to hear how many miles it has) for between $1000 - $1300 but would need to sell my Kat if I do. Will have to move fairly quickly to do the deal. Which would you prefer...?

HELP!!

8 years newer and + 450cc, as much as I love mye Kat I would go for the Bandit
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Thanks. I'm still mulling it over today, but...

Comment

I think that year bandit was an oil burner. I would check to see if it has had the recall performed on it or not.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Check the recall but not every motor had the oil burning pistons. Even if it does your looking at burning a qt of oil in about 600-1500 miles maybe. U won't see it on ur plugs or anything and it doesn't affect performance etc just notice it gets lower and lower oil level. Hell by 3k u would have performed an oil change! Haha

I would go bandit, lots more tq and better gearing for highway cruising. The 750 would have more top end.

I got a 2002 B12 motor ( towards the end of the oil burning years) ready to swap into my turbo 600 katana. Reason is the tq!
          1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
          fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
          55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
          R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
          Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

If your Kat is doing alright by you then I'd keep it. A '98 B12 for that price is going to have problems and not all of them will be immediately noticeable. Probably nothing that can't be worked through but do you want to (essentially) trade a known quantity for an unknown that you may or may not be able to ride?

IMO, a 750 Kat has decent power. Nothing to get really excited about but enough. If I had a 600 I'd be looking at dropping a B12 engine in there or just trading up to the B12 and calling it good.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Bandit in a heartbeat.

Comment

Yeah, I'm worried about unknown mechanical issues. I've had my Kat for two years now, and had a 92' back in 97'. I just rebuilt my carbs, re-torqued the head, adjusted the valves, painted the frame and put new tires on it. I'm nervous about the thought of getting into something and not being able to fix it! I suppose I could hold on to my Kat long enough to see how the Bandit would do. Thanks Steves and "91"; food for thought on the oil & recall. I could get into that low-end power. Not many winding roads here in Fl, so that off the line speed is what I really get the chance to enjoy.

oh, and he says 13,000 miles.
                Last edited by tdecker; 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

B12 are actually stronger motors than the Kat, by stronger I mean the stock bottom end can handle 300hp and have the same indestructabity as the katana oil cooled motor as they are basically the same. The B12 has a stronger trans (5speed) and turns lower rpms than the Kat 6 speed (5k at 90mph). The B12s clutch had a problem with the tq of this brute, can be upgraded with heavier springs to live to 150-160hp (stock is 98hp) and you can swap in the GSX1100 clutch for more power or fit a lockup.

Reason I'm saying is u can get the bike for that much and you can just keep the motor as they are worth that basically esp with 13,000 on them. You will have everything u need to swap it over in a weekend even the carbs! Then part the rest out and make ur money back.
                  1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                  fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                  55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                  R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                  Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Good info. The guy went up $200 the next time I checked on it, so we'll see. Got my eye on a couple of others too. I'll keep riding the Kat, but keep an eye out on the Bandits. I like the idea of going up to a bigger bike and staying with a motor that I am at least familiar with.

Comment

Working...
                    X