X

Opportunity to buy 1100 GSX-R for $850

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opportunity to buy 1100 GSX-R for $850

I wasn't sure where to post this. but this seemed like a good place.

I'm having a bit of a moral quandary. Here I am, just having put my 1992 katana 600 on the road a month ago after picking it up for 850. I see this ad for aGSX-R 1100 for the same price and lower milage.

Having just put 1200 into the Katana to get it on the road (yeah I know not such a good deal anymore) I'd like anyone's opinion on how they would rate the GSX-R as a project bike.

I'll be seeing the bike soon and taking my uncle who's a motorcycle mechanic and previous GSX-R owner to see just what it'll need for safety.

I'm just worried about not making my money back if I sell either bike, they are both nice and cosmetically I'd say the GSX-R looks like it's in pretty good shape (more so than my Katana)

Thoughts?
    -Marc

Isn't 86 the first production year model?

Looks like someone already did the wheel conversion on it.

I'd go for it if I had the $... I think that model would actually increase in value as the years go on.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for your input. I'd really love the bike it looks soooo goood! too bad I could never put it on the road since insurance wants over $10,000!!!! I would have to fix it up and resell it.

Comment

Pretty cool looking bike. $10k is unbelievably steep. What's up with that?
        Extra life.

Comment

Sweet looking ride, I'd buy it
          Ride like it's your last ride
          sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow if it all checks out I'll put a down payment or buy it.

If I can't resell it I'll keep it till I’m over 25 when the insurance might be reasonable.

I feel like the price is just a deterrent to try to get me to buy a different bike. This quote wasn't even from my current insurance company I called my current insurance company up and asked how much it would be and they said they flat out would not insure it. A pretty bold move since I already have 1 bike and my car with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick.Marq View Post
              Thanks for your input. I'd really love the bike it looks soooo goood! too bad I could never put it on the road since insurance wants over $10,000!!!! I would have to fix it up and resell it.
              Even though I know Canadian $'s are worth less than USD $'s, $10,000 for insurance can not even remotely be correct!

But by happenstance it is correct, throw $5K to me and I'll personally insure you for the $5K amount!
              It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

yeah I don't fully understand the insurance laws. I should really move somewhere with more than a maximum 7 month riding period and yes that 10,000 was for 7 months. and for all I know it could have been 20,000 he just had a warning saying it would be more than 10,000

Comment

Buy it, clean it up and move to the US.

...or sell it but that'd be a shame.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Not surprisingly it's on hold for someone until Thursday (payday) and from my experience if you need to wait till payday to buy something; you probably shouldn't be buying it. So I told the seller if he bails I'd give him a little extra to be the first one called since he has 4 other guys laying in wait for the first guy to fall through.

Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Comment

Sadly I let this one slip through my fingers. Next time I wont hesitate to go down and check it out on the first day.

Comment

It's pretty sad our society has gotten to a place where an insurance "threat" has made you second guess a bike to the point where it was sold when you decided to get it!

Insurance (vehicle and medical) shouldn't break us!

Comment

Bummer that you missed out on the bike. Been there done that before. As far as the insurance, maybe 1000, but no way would 10k even be acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                          X