• Show
Clear All

Except the 98 is an older bike
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yup, I think I'll have a little chat with him about riding the VFR. The VFR is so tempting, smh.
      Extra life.

Comment

The 98 VFR is one of my favourites. Yes, it's an older bike, but its technology is still ahead of the Kat - and probably still ahead of the GSX650F in many respects. It was not built to a price. And although now 3 models old and the first of the 800s, the 98 model has the legendary cog-driven cams - ie no chain. A V4 with cog-driven cams is a unique sounding bike. The first of the V-Tec models in about 2002 was too twitchy for many, but that was sorted in the update of about 2006. The only recurring issue with earlier models was electrical - especially rectifiers. But fitting an after-market rectifier solved the problem permanently. The VFR 800s are universally considered to be one of the best, safest, most reliable bikes of all time.

Comment

I really do like the appeal of the VFR. To make matters worse, he's now riding to work and parks right next to me. However, I've been riding my Kat and I still love it. Plus, the hassle of selling my bike is not very appealing. Maybe, come Fall, I'll rethink things.
          Extra life.

Comment

vfr

i was looking at the vfr before i got my kat the deciding thing for me was the insurance for thekat was £300 cheaper than the vfr but very happy with my kat at the end of the day it`s your choice good luck

Comment

you have a newer bike you know you have done to it and it yours. why do you want something older and possiblely someones headache i will never ride anything else but my kat

Comment

The dude actually sold it to someone else. It's 'only' 5 years older. But, by all accounts, the VFR is a better bike in just about every way. I know the guy and I do not think he would sell me a headache, without at least telling me the issues that he knows about. No matter; he sold it.

Maybe, a year or two from now, I'll be looking at buying a VFR off someone else.
                Extra life.

Comment

How much did he sell it for? My neighbor just sold his 98 vfr800fi with a little over 10k miles for $1800. Even had a two brothers carbon fiber exhaust. It was a fun bike. Power comes in like mad after 7500rpms to redline. Also fuel injection is like night and day compared to carbs. The v4 also has loads of torque.

I still preferred the Kat over the vfr though.

Comment

I want to say it went for $2,800. Which, I thought was actually reasonable based on comparable listings on craigslist and the kbb and NADA guides. This bike had about 25k mi on the odo
                    Extra life.

Comment

I had a 2000 VFR800, bought it used, rode it about 20k mi., and sold it.

Exhaust note is intoxicating, performance is decent but should be a lighter bike for its power output.

Single sided swing arm gorgeous to look at, but makes balancing rear tire a bit difficult.

Linked front/rear brake system doesn't perform any better, but just makes maintenance more complicated.

It's one of those bikes that Honda produced to demonstrate their engineering capability.. not particularly stellar at doing anything, but decent for everything.

IMO, 98-01 VFR are the best generation, before Honda screwed it up with VTEC engine and underseat exhaust that makes VFR a pig.
                      Last edited by "K"; 07-27-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X