X

'03 600 Kat or '98 VFR800?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '03 600 Kat or '98 VFR800?

So I work with a guy that may be looking to move his '98 Interceptor. It's that VFR red and has ~25k miles. I have been looking at VFRs for a while because it is the only bike that I could afford that I would step up to from my Kat. My Kat is an '03 600 with under 8k miles.

Before I make any serious inquiry into the '98 with my co-worker, I wanted to get some of ya'lls thoughts on it.

My co-worker is a pretty straightforward, honest dude and he said the bike is all good. But, I haven't really gotten into what it may need and whatnot.

I'm really asking because I would have to sell my Kat in order to purchase the VFR and selling is kind of a pain in the butt and I want to get an idea of whether it is worth the hassle.

Thanks
    Extra life.

These folk:
    Consumate all-rounder that looks great and goes better - MCN reviews the HONDA VFR800, plus specs and owner ratings: The old reliable honda v fours.

say the VFR800i is wonderful but I'd stay with Katanas - an opinion formed due to me liking my bike and never wanting let alone having ever ridden, a VFR800i.
    I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

The VFR is a lot more bike than a Kat. Water cooled, fuel-injected, beautifully designed. The '98 you're looking at is the first iteration of the FI VFRs, though and wasn't as smooth as later models or even as smooth as the earlier carb models. I wouldn't call that a deal breaker but know that the fuel mapping wasn't perfect.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

the vfr is a better bike, but if youre getting a vfr get the 6th generation with low milage. expect repairs to be slightly more expensive. the vfr is a more advanced bike than the kat so it wont be as easy to wrench on it. on the other side they are stirdy and wont need as much tinkering.
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I would keep the Kat. Miles are lower and is newer, but that's my noobness speaking
          - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

Comment

You all make good points. And all things that I have considered. Looks like the bottom line is...I need to think about it some more
            Extra life.

Comment

Well, consider what's your type of riding. If you're more like a Touring guys, make a deal with him
              But Not trade, of course, try to sell Katana n buy VFR by cash

Comment

Originally posted by drvk View Post
                Well, consider what's your type of riding. If you're more like a Touring guys, make a deal with him
                But Not trade, of course, try to sell Katana n buy VFR by cash
                I don't really ride very aggressively at all (IMHO). If I went with the VFR, I would talk to my guy and let him know that I'm in. Then, I would try to move the Kat within a week or two to raise the cash for the VFR. My problem is deciding whether this particular VFR is worth the hassle of selling my beloved Kat.
                Extra life.

Comment

I went from a 2001 750 Kat to an 06 VFR and as much as I liked my Kat and if I could would have kept both am glad I have the VFR. Very solid build, more powerful engine and a higher engineered design. But the ultimate test is, have you ridden the VFR? Sounds like you know the owner well enough to ask for an hour or so test ride. That will let you make as clear a choice as it can get.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by expvet; 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

VFR !!!
                    HAnds down, by FAR a better bike.

better power, better handling, better brakes, better suspension, better fuel mileage, just as comfortable.
                    Other then ease of mainanence, I cant think of anything the Kat does better at then the VFR800
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

He did offer to let me ride the bike. I guess I'm hesitant to do so because I'm not totally on board with the thought of buying it and I don't want to set the stage that I would be purchasing. Maybe, I should just talk to him.
                      Extra life.

Comment

The one big hitch to a VFR is maintenance, like HD mentioned. They've got a V-4 engine and getting to anything is a pain. OTOH, how many times are you going to have to pull throttle bodies? Bet it's less often than a Kat's carbs.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I see at least one VFR most weeks but in over a year of riding my 750 Katana I have never recognised another one. Part of the appeal of the Kat for me is that it's a quirky looking bike and quite unusual but if you want to ride something that a lot of other folk are riding (all be it modified ones) then go with the VFR.
                          I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

The Kat is easier to work on as far as accessibilty but fuel injection is generally self adjusting (though more difficult to troubleshoot) so you need to do less upkeep. Side by side the VFR is a superior bike, but as far as tinkering with stuff, the Kat because of it's simpler design is easier to work on. I enjoyed my Kat but now having linked brakes, V4 power and sound, fuel injection and better suspension I have no regrets with the VFR. again, a test ride is the only real way for you to decide.

Comment

Everything about a VFR is a pretty good upgrade from a Katana.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X