X

1987 gsxr 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 gsxr 750

Hey guys. A friend of mine is looking at this 87 gsxr from craigslist.

The post says the bike dies at 70 MPH+. From reading posts on this site I told him it generally seems to be just a kinked fuel lines. The CList postings says the carbs were cleaned, so I'm thinking maybe the fuel line got kicked when putting it back together. From reading gixxer forums, it seems often the kickstand safety switch is the culprit (it vibrates down at speed).

I thought I'd just post here to see if anyone has experience with gixxers. At 1200 its already below kbb, and hopefully we could negotiate down. I understand for the fork dust caps we'd have to remove the front assembly...

Are there more serious problems that could cause the dying at 70mph+ that we should look out for when viewing the bike?

Thanks!

Originally posted by latenight View Post
    Hey guys. A friend of mine is looking at this 87 gsxr from craigslist.

The post says the bike dies at 70 MPH+. From reading posts on this site I told him it generally seems to be just a kinked fuel lines. The CList postings says the carbs were cleaned, so I'm thinking maybe the fuel line got kicked when putting it back together. From reading gixxer forums, it seems often the kickstand safety switch is the culprit (it vibrates down at speed).

I thought I'd just post here to see if anyone has experience with gixxers. At 1200 its already below kbb, and hopefully we could negotiate down. I understand for the fork dust caps we'd have to remove the front assembly...

Are there more serious problems that could cause the dying at 70mph+ that we should look out for when viewing the bike?

Thanks!
    Pod filters...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Crash damage.
      "slightly modified to look more like a streetfighter" means it's been wrecked and the fairings were trashed.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Good point WildBill. Hopefully some bargaining leverage!

Krey, you mean that the bike might have pod filters installed, and that is what could be causing the bike to die at over 70? By extension, if I replace the pod filters with an OEM, is it a likely fix?

Comment

Originally posted by latenight View Post
          Good point WildBill. Hopefully some bargaining leverage!

Krey, you mean that the bike might have pod filters installed, and that is what could be causing the bike to die at over 70? By extension, if I replace the pod filters with an OEM, is it a likely fix?

I can see the pod filters, so yes... it has them.

Oem airbox and filter will work better but not nessasarily the only issue.

I would say they also probably have inline paper fuel filter, and that doesn't work...

Add to that no telling how off they have the carbs in trying to tune for the issues they installed above...

I don't think it's worth the list price though even if it did run...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Not to mention that they mention the carbs aren't stock. "Larger Carburetors from later model GSX-R". I'd leave that one alone.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks again for the helpful advice! He brought the bike close by so I thought I'd take a look, without much intent to buy. Definitely the pod filters as you guys could see in the picture, as well as the inline fuel filter. I talked him down to 500$, but then found an oil leak coming from somewhere on top of the oil pan. I couldn't find a source as everything was covered in oil, so in the end just walked away.

Anyways, thanks for helping out.

Comment

Would have done the same thing.

Comment

GOOD choice on the "no buy"

Comment

$500... Should have picked it up.

My 86 750 has B12 carbs and Slingshot cams, would you skip that one too?

Comment

this kinda purchase can go either way, but I am not too proud to seek advice (like this thread) to gather intel.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X