X

1986 gsxr 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 gsxr 750

Okay, so I a, not really a fan of my 750 Kat. I just don't like the way she handles, looks, and sits... I was on my way to getting a 2010 Ninja 1000 but my wife put a stop to that sale really quick (something about 10 G's being too much?!). So, there is a Craig's list sale/trade for a bike that SEEMS to be in UBER good shape. It's a red/black GSXR 750 1986. Question is this....

1: Will this be a better bike?
    2: Will this 100+hp bike perform better?
    3: Will I still be able to drive this bike 100+ miles w/out killing my body?

Anyone whom has any personal information on this... I'd be very appreciative of your guidance. I'm not looking for something that nessesarly better then the Kat but maybe something I'd appreciate more. Link for the sale is here....

1991 Katana 750 (Red) (sold)
    2007 GSXR 600

Bump
    2007 GSXR 600

Comment

I know I'll get reamed for saying it on this forum, but it's still a heavy 25+ year old bike with crap suspension and carbs...plus it's been messed with so not collectible.

I wouldnt consider it an upgrade, more of a restyling.

Then again, I'm not nostalgic about anything old

Also, that bike is in WAY too nice of shape to be listed anywhere near that price...take it for what you will.

If you really want to upgrade, save up your money and buy a modern GSXR.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

nice bike, and a classic for sure. however, I can tell you that you will be a bit disappointed in how comfortable you will be on 100+ mile rides. my buddy had an 1100, which is pretty much the same bike style, and on long rides I always had to swap bikes with him because he was getting too uncomfortable.....and I was always glad to trade back when I figured he had enough comfort.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Good looking R. Will agree the price seems low but you never know.
          I've owned the 750 and 1100 hyper's .Snapped rods in both the 750's.If you buy and intend to keep , consider some carrillo rods $950+/-.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana91_750 View Post
            Okay, so I a, not really a fan of my 750 Kat. I just don't like the way she handles, looks, and sits... I was on my way to getting a 2010 Ninja 1000 but my wife put a stop to that sale really quick (something about 10 G's being too much?!). So, there is a Craig's list sale/trade for a bike that SEEMS to be in UBER good shape. It's a red/black GSXR 750 1986. Question is this....

1: Will this be a better bike?
            2: Will this 100+hp bike perform better?
            3: Will I still be able to drive this bike 100+ miles w/out killing my body?

Anyone whom has any personal information on this... I'd be very appreciative of your guidance. I'm not looking for something that nessesarly better then the Kat but maybe something I'd appreciate more. Link for the sale is here....

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2748408497.html

Some fairly simple suspension mods will make a HUGE difference in how the bike sits and handles. Looking at probably $500 invested, but the difference is way more than worth that.

A Tmod rebuilt and adjusted B12 rear shock and new springs in the front will seriously improve things alot.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Awesome info guys... I'd agree that I'd rather get a newer bike... That is for sure but... The wife says no so... Stuck with either this or another 1-1 trade. I'll update the thread when I hear back from the owner. Again, thanks!
              2007 GSXR 600

Comment

It's a classic 1st gen for sure, the weapon of choice for it's time.
                The ergos aren't great, I had an '87 and i felt like a pretzel most of the time, a 100+ mile ride and you'll be looking for Morphine, trust me. As Tim said you can do some suspension mods that will make a big difference.. If the PO hasn't already done it, ditch the 16" front wheel for a later 17" it will be easier to find rubber for it and it will handle a lot better.
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Just to clarify, my suggestion was to keep the Kat and fix the suspension...

Don't really see the point in swapping a 20 year old bike with a 25 year old bike that is the first generation of a new type... at least not as an "improvement" over the values listed...

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I've ridden both and the gsxr is a sportsbike, the Katana is not. I will say that the ergos may not be all that friendly, depending on what kind of shape you're in and your size. The Gsxr is just a much lighter bike, so let's all stop being Katana fanboys deluding into a "Katana is just as good with some suspension work" etc.

A bike that old, no matter how good a shape is in, will have little issues. And I think they all have 18" wheels, so finding tires might be an issue. IMO if you can find a newer sportbike for low money, take that instead unless you're keen to wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                      I've ridden both and the gsxr is a sportsbike, the Katana is not. I will say that the ergos may not be all that friendly, depending on what kind of shape you're in and your size. The Gsxr is just a much lighter bike, so let's all stop being Katana fanboys deluding into a "Katana is just as good with some suspension work" etc.

A bike that old, no matter how good a shape is in, will have little issues. And I think they all have 18" wheels, so finding tires might be an issue. IMO if you can find a newer sportbike for low money, take that instead unless you're keen to wrench.
                      Interesting... You imply insult and being wrong with the "fan boy" tag and counter information, yet then also state that it's probably not the best idea to purchase the 25 year old bike as a replacement for the Kat... which was the original point I made.

What was your point other than being snide for no reason?

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        What was your point other than being snide for no reason?

Krey
                        Not at all, my point was to be realistic. It's hard to decide between wishful thinking and misguided nostalgia at times. I really want to point out the GSXR is that much better of a bike if its sorted out against a pre750 that's also sorted out. But we all know bikes of that age do require some wrenching to be done. I just can't put on some rose tinted glasses and say the Kat is comparable on any performance metric.

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                          Not at all, my point was to be realistic. It's hard to decide between wishful thinking and misguided nostalgia at times. I really want to point out the GSXR is that much better of a bike if its sorted out against a pre750 that's also sorted out. But we all know bikes of that age do require some wrenching to be done. I just can't put on some rose tinted glasses and say the Kat is comparable on any performance metric.

It's possible to add information or even counter points without being insulting in doing so as you continue to do.

I'll concede if your only criteria is a track bike, that the 86 GSXR is a better option for performance in that medium. When your comparing the 2 between street use for a general rider, I don't.

The GSXR may have less weight by aprox. 80lbs stock, but some simple mods can reduce that difference... like dropping the stock dual exhaust for aftermarket getting it closer to 50lbs difference. That aside, the weight difference isn't really that big of a deal since your not racing the clock. The HP is basically the same between the 2 bikes, but the Kat is going to have a significantly more stable and user friendly performance and handling for street use.

Not only that, but the flatside carbs on the GSXR are great if you want to tinker with them every time the weather changes, but for those that don't, I would suggest that the CV carbs would be a much more user friendly option for a street use bike.

I would suggest that perhaps there is more to consider for a street bike than how it performs on a track. When considering all of the information, I would still suggest a better option is upgrading the Kats supension over purchase of the 86 GSXR. It's not only about which is faster.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Most people who buy a sportbike do so to ride it balls out Tim, I think that's where he was going...

I stand by my opinion though, not worth the hassle for the marginal performance gain.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

After reading the OP again, I can see that just suspension mods are not gonna cut it for him, since he doesn't like how the Kat "handles, looks, or sits". Even on his concern on whether a 100 mile ride will be more comfortable on either bike, I can't really say the Kat is the def winner, since the more relaxed stance might be offset by the crappy Katana seats, and the fact that all that front-end stability coupled by a fairly narrow handlebar set might actually require more effort to turn. Don't get me started on the 750s buzziness (both engines.) I hope these criticisms don't add to the snide, grievous and personal insults

So really, maybe it's best for the OP to wait, save up and see if something newer and better comes along.

Comment

Working...
                              X