X

Next step up from a Kat.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
    lack of gas guage is easy to get over. most sports bikes dont have one and simply have a light to alert you that you are low. If your going on a long caynon ride then you top off before you go.
    Yup.

The lack of top end on the gix 6 is definitely a flaw though, it just seems to run out of wind. Same with the f4I.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by kohnerbownerr View Post
      planning on getting another bike come spring, you know, to step it up a bit from my 95 600. I'm inclined towards a CBR600 f4 or a gsxr 600. anybody ridden both these bikes? which did you like more?
      Although I'll always recommend the SV family to any former Kat rider, if you do choose between those bikes, I'd definitely go with the F4i because of the versatility. However, that being said, the seats on those bikes (as with most CBRs) are hard as a rock...
      Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

I hadn't really considered the SV, def another bike to look into.
        Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

Seriously look into a "lightly used" YZF...... it's cheap on insurance, and you won't be disappointed. Just my thoughts.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
            Seriously look into a "lightly used" YZF...... it's cheap on insurance, and you won't be disappointed. Just my thoughts.
            Yeah but any YZF you buy other than the R6/R1 is just going to be a Yamaha version of a Katana...if thats what you want then great but it seems the OP wants something much more sporting, which the YZF series is definitely not.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i rode a 06 f4i. good bike light and shifts a lot easier than the kat. Ergos are a lot better than the gixxer and it will still run with them for a bit if that's what your into. Its a good reliable bike also.
              Godspeed
              CSBA #1167
              Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                one of my riding buddies has a 97 yzf600r and i'll keep up with him in the Kat all day. although his sure does look a lot nicer. I'm trying to upgrade on performance as well as just trying something different.
                Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

A Schwinn 10 speed. You get 4 more speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by kohnerbownerr View Post
                    I hadn't really considered the SV, def another bike to look into.
                    I just went from a Kat 750 to a SV1000. The difference is huge, with that being said you need to put some miles and time on the Kat. I was at the point that I was asking more of the bike than it could offer. Now that I have gotten the SV dialed in as far as tires and suspension It still kinda sucks that I was able to be faster on the Kat in the curves. Give me another year and several thousand miles and that will change. Had I not been as fast on the kat then I probably would not have enjoyed the SV as much. The power difference is huge. It is nice having the fuel injection. Also is nice that you do not have to shift down a gear is you want to go around a car in the highway, and if you do it feels funny picking the tire up a couple of inches. The 1000 v-twin just growls and then goes. Will I keep it possibly, but I still want a busa. If you upgrade be careful because sometimes it feels like your going 80 and you are going 120.
                    Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

If your going from a Kat get the SV650. The 1000 that quite a few of us on here have had or still have is a weird jump and not for the faint of heart. It wwants to ride on one wheel everywhere and the throttle is pretty twitchy. The 650 is the better mix out of the gate.
                      I am a Penn State fanatic.
                      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by JHILDE View Post
                        . If you upgrade be careful because sometimes it feels like your going 80 and you are going 120.
                        Only Sometimes? :P
                        Last edited by depths_of_mind; 09-30-2011, 10:26 AM.
                        sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                        '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                        '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                          Check out the ergos before you go with a gix. I always wanted one until it became clear to me that they're not too accommodating to a 6'2" frame.
                          hey depends what year i recently acquired an 89 gsxr 750 and its not bad ( me also being 6'2") mind I am on the light side of things i like to think of myself as aerodynamic ;p lol mind this is definitely not as accommodating for a long haul as my 90 kat 600 it is still a really fun bike and different.. wont be getting rid of the kat cause its my first street bike and I love it but this is much better in the twisties for a nighttime jaunt.
                          1990 katana 600 1/4 mile 12.274 @107.xx napierville dragway 5/30/2012
                          vance+hines Supersport exhaust otherwise stock.

Comment

All depends on intended usage. If you are looking for something that will get you down the road in a hurry, look into a ZZR - about 100 lbs heavier than the Kat - comfortable, decent cruise range with a 6.6 gal tank. Oh, and it will punch holes in the ozone layer when you decide to twist it wide open.
                            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

what about the FZ6? I almost bought one when when I was fed up with my Kat about a month ago.

R6 engine, nice riding position, FI, Inline 4. seemed to be the best of everything.
                              -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
                                R6 engine
                                In the same way that a Katana has a GSXR engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X