X

Next step up from a Kat.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next step up from a Kat.

planning on getting another bike come spring, you know, to step it up a bit from my 95 600. I'm inclined towards a CBR600 f4 or a gsxr 600. anybody ridden both these bikes? which did you like more?
    Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Ive ridden the gsxr prepped for the track though it was fast as hell 108hp at the rear it was an 07 with work done on it. The F4 would be more practical for the street and meore comfy and youd notice a difference, fuel injection etc, smoother...

Comment

sv650
      "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
      2004 marauder 800

Comment

Check out the ergos before you go with a gix. I always wanted one until it became clear to me that they're not too accommodating to a 6'2" frame.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Just buy a gsxr and be done with it. Its no ninja but they're still pretty nice bikes.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
            Check out the ergos before you go with a gix. I always wanted one until it became clear to me that they're not too accommodating to a 6'2" frame.
            I just got a 2007 GSXR600 and I'm not a tall guy (5' 7") so it fits me fairly well, but I have friends who are over 6' and have a hard time riding GSXRs. The throttle is not anywhere near as forgiving as my Kat was. It lets me know fairly quickly who the boss is in the relationship
            Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Have you tried a 750 Kat? After getting used to a 750 (my first kat) the 600 felt like a toy. Out riding with guys on 600s I noticed that the two bikes made power very differently. I'd out-accelerate the 600s every time even when I wasn't trying to. Then I'd have to be patient while they caught up.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

If you like the Kat as a sport tourer type, you might like a standard bike more than you think. I picked up an 09 FZ6 on clearance for dirt cheap. Rated at 95 HP, more upright riding position, and fast as all hell. It's basically an R6 with torquier cams and a motocross style handlebar.

For your choices, I'd take the CBR, but that's me. Neither one is as comfortable as the Kat, but the Honda is better, IMO.

Comment

My daughter's bf just got himself an '03 YZF600r that he let me take out for a ride, and it's one sweet bike.
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'm 6'3 and rode an 04 Gixxer 600 a bunch (my cousins) It is fun for about 5 miles... and then its not comfy at all.. My buddy let me ride his 2010 FZ6 and that thing was fun to ride.. Not a fan of the naked bike, but it ran better than the Kat but not as good as the Gixxer.. Never rode the Honda.
                    Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

My wife just made the change from a Kat 600 to the GSXr600 and while it is a night and day difference she likes it. The GSXr 600 IMHO is pretty light on power and if you are comfortable on the Kat it is an easy transition so long as you are good with the throttle hand.

When I picked up the GSXr in NC to bring back for the wife I spent the weekend on the dragon and was a bit shocked at the lack of power on the GSXr compared to my Daytona 675. (Yes the 675 is geared for more down low esp with the triple but even in higher rpms there is a bit to be desired) Ergo wise the GSXr was comfy to me though you must note that my Daytona 675 is hailed as one of the most uncomfortable bikes out there. LOL.

I am 5'11" and around 200 to give you an idea of what to compare to though everyone is different in length of legs and arms and such so I recommend sitting on them at the dealership or taking them out if you can on a ride. Both will handle better then the Kat and have more pep with the GSXr having slightly more.

IF it were me I would go for a GSXr 750... You get the torque and still the handeling of the 600. Great all around bike. More then you would need in terms of speed, power, and handling ability so you would not ned to worry about an upgrade later. You can cruise around town without shifting constantly like on the 600s and such.

I also know it might be hard to do but I would also recommend buying in the Oct - Feb time frame as you will get the best deals even on used bikes. Waiting till Spring means you will pay a premium.
                      I am a Penn State fanatic.
                      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

i just picked up an 02 f4i, and im falling in love just like i did with the kat.
                        its very comfy for a sporty bike, same engine as the 600 rr but better for the street and cheaper to insure. handles like a dream and has more power than i could ever use. mine has a power commander. i frequent S.F. and its super smooth delivery makes it easy to ride in the city. one of the heavier sport bikes 370 dry, but it feels good to me i dont like getting blown around.

my gf hates the seat, so the kat is the 2 up/ touring bike and the hondog is my vineyard valley carver

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                          My daughter's bf just got himself an '03 YZF600r that he let me take out for a ride, and it's one sweet bike.
                          Had I know about this bike when I was bike shopping, I probably would have bought it instead of the Kat. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no gas gauge.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

May I suggest the Suzuki Gsxf750?
                            2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                            1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
                            Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

lack of gas guage is easy to get over. most sports bikes dont have one and simply have a light to alert you that you are low. If your going on a long caynon ride then you top off before you go.
                              I am a Penn State fanatic.
                              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Working...
                              X