X

My first bike: '83 Honda FT500

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first bike: '83 Honda FT500

Yeah, this is a Suzuki, model-specific forum, but we all started somewhere. Me being a motorcycle noob, I have precious little brand loyalty (opens my purchase options up somewhat).

I read a lot of advice, and decided that a mild-mannered bike would suit me just fine, so I started keeping an eye out. I posted on the Fiero forum I've been a member of for a long time that I wanted to trade my Fiero-shaped lawn ornament (it ran alright, I just didn't drive it much anymore) for a respectable first 2-wheeler.

This little guy came up:

Yeah. Very LOW miles (6800 when I got it, 8500 and counting now), just needed some carb love, and seeing as it's only got one, how hard could it be?

To be honest, it was quite easy to get running. About 2-3 hours time had the carburetor off, torn down and largely degunked. Another 45 minutes or so had the questionable (though it's fine so I really need to convert it back) petcock converted to gravity feed only instead of vacuum actuated.

Pull out the choke, hit the starter button (jumped off the car, dead battery) and "whirrrrrrrrrr...."

Yeah, the weakness of the Ascot, the starter not always liking to engage. And no kick-start. So, add in 2 more hours of figuring out the starter engagement mechanism, cleaning, lubing, cleaning, lubing, reassemble and... !

LIFE!

That was the hard part, the rest is maintenance and tuning. Long story short, new tires, up the jets a couple sizes (+8 on the pilot, +4 main, to compensate for lean factory tune + gutted muffler) and I've been getting 50-60 mpg on my 400lb thumper since April or so

I have no basis for comparison, but this is a very, very easy motorcycle to ride. Good torque (seriously, 500cc single), reasonably smooth ride, light weight (South end of IN 135 anyone?) and predictable handling and power delivery. No speed demon for sure, but will run 60 all day comfortable and handles short bursts of 70+ with ease. If I ever get around to putting the correct front sprocket on, 70+ will be all day
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
    H. L. Mencken

great bike ...u can off road it when there are side routes

Comment

That is a sharp looking little bike there, also looks like it would be fun to ride..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thanks guys, I like it a lot, can't wait to get my 'zuke running.

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
        great bike ...u can off road it when there are side routes
        I think one of the previous owners did just that actually, it had an enduro back tire on it when I got it (think 60/40 dual sport) and a -1 front sprocket for trail torque. That's why I'm not comfortable with sustained 70+ mph, as the revs are running right up to the redline (7k). I'd like to get a +1 front sprocket (stock is 15t, currently running 14, would like 16)

Actually, it was kinda funny. I put the new tires on myself, and there was dirt between the rim and the bead of the rear tire...
        Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
        H. L. Mencken

Comment

They make an allright adventure bike with some minor suspension upgrades, dual sport tires and skid plates.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Welcome from Ohio.

Comment

Did I miss somewhere that you had a Katana? How'd you end up finding us? Welcome anyways!
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                Did I miss somewhere that you had a Katana? How'd you end up finding us? Welcome anyways!
                Check his garage. There is a pic of a streetfighter that he started.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post
                  Check his garage. There is a pic of a streetfighter that he started.
                  Well, sorta. I bought it like that last weekend, I have an intro post in the intro forum 'splainin its sad fate. It's currently a non-running project like my honda was.

Gonna fix the non running part and probably un-fighter it as I can.
                  This is more a backstory until I can make progress on the kat
                  H. L. Mencken

Comment

Welcome Squisher, that's a nice Honda! I had a 1982 Honda CX 500. Honda's first attempt at V-Twin and they mounted the motor with the barrels sticking out either side as opposed to front to back. I always felt like I was riding a small block V-8! They used that motor in their "Silver-Wing" and even had a Turbo charged version you could buy. I still have all of the original sales literature Honda printed for the showrooms to hand out. Enjoy your "new to you" bike, it sure looks like a sweet ride.

Comment

Working...
                    X