98 VTR 1000 SuperHawk 996

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 VTR 1000 SuperHawk 996

Just got a 98 SuperHawk 996

I was looking for a cheap bike project to use as a commuter. I found this bike on craigslist for $1,100. It was not running, the owner said it might be the camshaft but was not sure. Searched the Superhawk forum and found out the cct is a common problem on this bike and they recommend installing a manual one ASAP.

Rear tire has less then 100 miles on it, new front brake pads (in package not installed), OEM service manual, owners manual and Fox Shox.

So I figured the bike would need at least a top end rebuild or motor swap to get it running. With that in mind I offered him $600 for it, he accepted the offer.

Took it to a friend/mechanic to have it checked and find out what was wrong with it. Two days later he calls me and tells me the bike is ready. The top end looks in good shape and the bike sounds and runs strong. It turns out the CCT had just loosed up and simply needed to be adjusted. The CCT on the bike was replaced by a manual aftermarket by one of the previous owners (I'm assuming not by the guy that sold it to me).
    The total bill $50

Next items to take care of:
    Change all fluids
    Clean
    Left upper fairing
    Reupholster Seat
    Bar Ends
    Clean/Replace Windscreen
    Clutch Lever
    Exhaust Leak

Looking for advice on how to fix the exhaust leak. The leak is where the can meets the pipe.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files
    http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Those are great bikes. I was all set to buy one I had test ridden and the morning I was going to buy it the owner told me he had sold it the night before. Wound up buying a Kat instead, am very happy with it, but perhaps one day a Super Hawk will cross my path again. Enjoy!
    Last edited by expvet; 07-29-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Superchicken!!!
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Nice bike. A friend of mine bought one of those back in '99 and loved it. I haven't ridden one but he was a massive wild-child so I'd take that vote of approval as an indicator that the bike handles pretty well.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

SuperChicken, one hell of a good ride.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I love me some superhawk, but not exactly a commuter with it's tiny gas tank and 20mpg but certainly makes smiles
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
              Those are great bikes. I was all set to buy one I had test ridden and the morning I was going to buy it the owner told me he had sold it the night before. Wound up buying a Kat instead, am very happy with it, but perhaps one day a Super Hawk wil lcross my path again. Enjoy!
              Thanks, so far having a blast with it.

SuperChicken, I'm quickly getting familiar with this term .

The pull on the bike is awesome, last night I let the cluth lever out too fast and the front came up immediately.

And yes, the fuel tank size sucks, and the bike sucks gas like crazy. I got 86+/- miles from a full tank.
              Last edited by wickeded; 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^^^^^^

Comment

Well SuperChicken is no more, as fun as it is I could not pass up a cash offer that was made to me.
                I give the bike my stamp of approval, had a blast with her.

^^^^^^

Comment

Well that was a short lived affair...

Though i don't blame you... Cash is always good to have.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat View Post
                    Well that was a short lived affair...

Though i don't blame you... Cash is always good to have.
                    Yup, can not beat cash.
                    However.....this morning I got this for $400 needs TLC and reg
                    Attached Files

^^^^^^

Comment

$400? Ok, I'm jelly.

Comment

Awesome pick up! I would of bought it for $600 even if I knew the engine was blown. They are great bikes and very comfortable.
                        1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
                        2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
                        1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Comment

Working...
                        X