X

Make a suggestion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a suggestion

As I've mentioned in previous threads, I slid my Kat into a ditch - the frame's bent and the ins has declared it a total loss. This has been my first and only bike; the only one I've even ridden 'cept for a few hours on a Kawi Eliminator 125 for the MSF class... which doesn't really count.

I paid cash for it, and will do so for my next bike. Due to other obligations this will probably be roughly early next year... I kid you not there is such a thing as rider withdrawal, but enough with the digressions already.

The Kat ('06 750cc... black, of course ) has been my love. Unfortunately there's few Katanas for sale around here and they're all 600s and ugly colors. So if I must pick something else, I want:

> FI if possible
    > possibly a tad lighter, for better handling (unless someone knows something I don't about weight vs. handling)
    > "water-cooled" - ok so it's coolant not water, but you know what I'm trying to say... vs the Kat's air/oil cooled system
    > possibly a bit more power; I could have gotten what I wanted from the Kat with just the standard mods (timing advancer, exhaust kit and the like). That 750 had pretty much the right amount of power for my riding style as it was... but OH! the rush of power is so addictive. Just let the HP top triple digits, I'm happy.
    > COMFORT - I like sportbikes, or preferably the sport-touring; but those tiny l'il seats on most crotch-rockets look like they're good for about 30 mins, like I've heard. I ride about 800+ miles/month, incl a 25-mile commute to work & back daily + half-day sunday rides. I think I could have made things perfect with a Corbin seat on the Kat, whose seat was acceptably comfortable as it is. I want to ride upright most of the time, with the option of hugging the tank. I don't care to have my foot pegs tucked up near where toilet paper is supposed to go.
    > Beauty - The Kat has some gorgeous lines. Silky-smooth oval shapes; the feminine curves countered with masculine haunches via the bulky front fairing. I take a liking to the "ferrari"-like looks of the ZX-14 and the 'Zuki RF-series. I admit I'm not so fond of the Katana's headlights, they look like Ray-bans. I seriously hate single headlights for some reason. I love the lights/front end of the 'Yami R1, except that low-beam is only one light. I'm not afraid of mods... coulda gotten that kat the way I liked.
    > Mod ready - I spent so much time thinking of ways to cosmetically make the Kat to my own style I just don't see doing the things I wanted to anything else.

I don't care for naked bikes; please cover my bike's cleavage. I want something that isn't 15-20 years old or too hard to work on (um, learn to work on). Anyone ride something suitable to my criteria?
    The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

You haven't mention a budget, but check out my review of the Concours 14. The '08/09 bikes lack traction control, heated grips and heat management, but otherwise are good bikes and new, I am talking a new left over, are going for around $9K or less and that includes a 3 year unlimited miles warranty. Hard bags, comfortable ride, heavy but good handling.
    Take out the secondary flies and you have a bike that can beat an older ZX 11 in the 1/4.

Comment

Budget would be key here, my personal preferences would be in the sports/touring category $3-4 I'd probably go SV650, $4-6k I would look at a bandit 1250 or maybe even a Triumph Sprint.

These are just my personal preferences of what I'm familiar with, not necessarly the BEST choises.

Comment

Take a good look at the VFR. Honda just went to a 1200 motor but there's 800s available and you might even be able to find a leftover at the dealer. Water cooled, Fuel Injected, all-day comfortable and still very sporty.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Zx14
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Busa, Z-14, ZZR1200...

Above is an 05 ZZR1200. I ride an 03. I've had an 06 600 Kat as well as an 06 750 Kat, along with a Ninja 600. The ZZR1200 may be the last bike I'll own because it is perfect for me. I tried an 08 Hayabusa and found the ZZR1200 more to my comfort, and it seemed nearly as peppy. After the ZZR1200, I quit looking for new bike prospects. (and you can probably handle the extra hp kick...nothing wrong with a Concourse either)
            Last edited by zuma; 03-23-2011, 06:44 AM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Found an '03 Busa for sale at a local dealership for $5500... (next question, what's wrong with it? Odo=10k). I just got off crutches a week ago, now as I'm caging it to work I can't help but wish I were feeling the wind at 130. If I know I'm going to ride like an idiot I'd probably do my lifespan justice by not having "the world's fastest production motorcycle" - especially given I have only a year's riding experience, & no real training. And oh that ZX-14 too... re-drool...

As for budget realistically I'm just gonna have to wait; the longer I can hold off the more I can save. I guess my patience will run dry somewhere in the 5-7 thou range. Thx guys, keep 'em coming.
              The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

Zzr 12
                vfr 8/12
                fz1
                B12.5
                Sprint ST
                C14

so many bikes, so little time!

Comment

If you're only commuting 25 miles one way to work, and riding about 800 total miles/month, you should be able to get by comfortably on any 02-05 GSX-R 600 or 750 also (once you set the suspension up to your liking). After 05 the riding position isn't quite as touring friendly unless you add bar risers. Either the 600 or 750 should also feel stronger powerwise than your old Kat.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

Don't limit yourself, there is nothing inherently better about oil cooling vs water cooling.
                    Looking at your criteria, my '91 Katana 1100 has all but water cooling, FI and newness. It is comfortable (especially with the corbin on it), gorgeous (has excellent curves in the plastic), is full faired,easy to work on, mods for motor abound, is cheap,can blast through the 1/4 mile in the mid 10 sec range (you want power? It has it!) and can tour or play in the twisties.The only real criteria it doesn't have is FI and hey, once you got it dialed in, she's ready to go. My bike runs well whether I am around my area (4800') or zip down to sea level. The only difference between it and my FI C14 that I notice is that when cold I have use a choke. No problem, it can 5 degrees, pull the choke all the way out, starts right up.
                    I took mine out yesterday and enjoyed it. Keep in mind that I have a four day old '11 Concours 14 parked next to it and can still appreciate the old big kitty. You can probably pick one up for around $2k and I have yet to here someone regret getting one, but I have heard of some regretting selling theirs (a good reason why I am keeping mine!).

Comment

If your looking at buying next year you should be able to find a Kat to your liking by then.

If you looking for some other bikes maybe a 5th gen VFR, or 6th if you don't mind the vtec that comes with it. If your looking at a larger bike (busa etc) don't forget to budget for your increase in tire changes

BTW if you get total withdrawal try to hit up some demo days (if your local dealers have them) and test ride a few bikes while your saving up.
                      Kyle

Comment

id recommend the yamaha zr6f its a great incline 4 engine and you can find them relatively cheap.

Comment

Working...
                        X