X

80 mile spin on New '03 SV1000

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 mile spin on New '03 SV1000

Took an 80 mile ride on the new '03 SV1000 today. I'll compare it to my '05 Duc S4r 996. I've owned the Duc for over 3 years and the SV for about 4 weeks.

Both are 996cc V Twins. Both fuel injected.
    SV is 408 lbs dry/Duc 391 dry (These are the mfg's numbers, I have not weighed the bikes)
    Both are 6 speeds.
    The SV does not handle as well in the sharper turns or sweepers. It requires a bit more input at the handlebars and it sits a bit higher.
    Seat height is a little taller on the SV also.
    The SV is easier to operate than the Duc. The Duc requires constant attention thru the gears up or down or it will lug.
    The SV doesn't lug at all even at low speeds in high gear.
    Duc stock seat is more comfortable. The SV has a New Sargent on it & it's quite firm. The stock SV seat is harder yet.
    I have the suspension turned all the way out on both bikes for a softer ride. (I'm 62 and not "going to the races" anymore)
    The Duc gives a more compliant ride and handles the bumpy roads much better than the SV. The SV is very bouncy on bad roads but does smooth out on the Interstate.
    Both have great low end grunt. The Duc gets up there faster than the SV but the SV is no slouch either.
    Duc runs about 155 degrees at full operating temp & it will climb to 167 while sitting at a traffic light.
    The SV in the 191 range and doesn't take long to go over 200 while sitting at a traffic light.
    The Ducati Brembo Front brakes are far superior.
    The SV Nissin rear brake is much better than the Duc rear.
    Mufflers on the SV are stock and sound kind of wimpish and weak but not all that bad. An aftermarket system should take care of that. The Duc has a stock Termignoni system on it and it is thunderous without being obnoxious.
    The SV has an aftermarket Buell fairing on it. It doesn't do much.
    The Duc has a stock Duc Bikini fairing also, and it does less.
    Which bike is better? My opinion, The Duc...but for several thousand dollars less when new, the SV would be the much better buy and would definitely earn the name of "The Poor Man's Ducati"
    Anything else I can tell you, let me know.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mambopalace; 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM.
Working...
X