X

yamaha FZ6R or a Ninja 650R?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha FZ6R or a Ninja 650R?

i have sat on both these bikes and i like the seating, alot! looking for a better bike for the wife (currently ninja 250) also i want a bike with about the same power as my 06Kat750 but with some improvments.
    i have been looking at these two bikes alot, and i think they come close, plus i am tired of getting raped by allstate for my insurance on my Kat.

anyone riding these or opinons on them?
    2006 Katana 750, Bumble Bee replica
    Bumblee Bee Tuna

I think the FZ6R might have slightly more power, closer to the 750 Kat, and I think it looks a lot better. I've ridden with a couple people on 650 Ninjas and they seemed to handle nice, and had good low rpm power, just semed to be lacking bit at higher speeds as far as high rpm power goes. Since the FZ6R was tuned for a really broad powerband it'd probably be a close call. An R6S would most likely be a lot stronger than both, and is lighter than the FZ6R. Don't forget the SV650 since you're already looking at the 650 Ninja, they're real nice too with the full fairing model.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Ninja 650. Hands down.
      R.I.P. Marc- 09/20/09

Comment

Originally posted by sladecm View Post
        Ninja 650. Hands down.
        but why?

i like them both, but i dont want to down grade from my Kat750. i want about the same performance and power but with some modern upgrades. also i want to the wife to be comfertable and she likes both bikes. she is leaning towards the FZ6R due to the paint schem, but again, almost the same bike i think.
        Bumblee Bee Tuna

Comment

Originally posted by seriss_cweald View Post
          i like them both, but i dont want to down grade from my Kat750.
          Then dont buy the FZ6. The 650R twin provides substantially more torque across the rev range. The FZ6 just drives like another 600cc I4.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

One thing to think about is the post 750 Kat has better suspension than either the Ninja 650 or the FZ6R do, and more power. Haven't ridden with a FZ6R yet, but do know the Ninja 650 (stock) isn't as fast top speed, or as quick as a modded pre Kat 600. Another thing to consider is, you mentioned this bike being for your wife. Does she really need cutting edge power and handling? Realistically chances are very few people would tap into the last 10% of either of these bikes capabilities very often on the street.
            Last edited by Psycho1; 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM.
            John,
            sigpic

Comment

While both are comparable, the Ninja has a more usable powerband due to the parallel twin. But, the seat is a bit higher than the FZ6R. Both will have similar performance, but not even close to that of your 750.

Asthetically, I think the new ninja looks nicer than the yammie, not to mention, it is already in it's 2nd generation and had a ton of improvements made to it over the 1st gens.

If it was my choice and these were my options, I'd go with the Ninja.
              2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
              BMC Notorious 918 HT
              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                While both are comparable, the Ninja has a more usable powerband due to the parallel twin.
                My thoughts exactly. I think she would benefit more from the twin for street riding. The 650R suspension is pretty decent from the factory, and a LOT of stuff from other Ninjas swaps over (front master, calipers, clip ons, and in some cases even bodywork) with minimal to average effort if she wants to deck it out.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

we dont mod things very much, my kat only has a few mods. I dont like the idea of spending more cash on a bike and then wreck it to have to replace that again.

Mostly paint and maybe a few small performance parts, nothing crazy (maybe).

She wants to ride a bike equal to mine, for confidence reasons (woman thing).

i just dont see alot more bikes in that range or performance or cost that would fit what we want. She has sat om my Kat and its too big for her (bike size) she doesnt like it.

and insurance reasons, i think these bikes are pretty decent in cost.
                  Bumblee Bee Tuna

Comment

i like the kawi myself. nothing other than its a kawi and i personally dont like yammies. IMO....either way a new bike would be sweet!!
                    Godspeed
                    CSBA #1167
                    Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

650r sounds like a dirtbike.

FZ6R please!
                      Let's go riding!

Comment

My wife picked the 650R for several reasons...

More up right, comfortable seating position, good balance and feel to it, doesn't feel to "big", and the overall seating/bar position for her was much more comfortable.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

She will like the 650 better, I can promise you that. It will be much easier to ride, and less RPM-picky. Its got go in every gear at every range of revs.

Comment

That's pretty much the same thing all the tests on the FZ6R say about it too.
                            John,
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                              That's pretty much the same thing all the tests on the FZ6R say about it too.
                              Yeah but its a yamaha...blech...

650R will have more stomp, FZ6 is an I4 standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X