Taking things too far, again.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts man
    replied
    A very custom jeep grill...I LIKE IT!! Nice triple clamp dude.

Put em on ebay..you'll make a pile of $$$
    Last edited by Parts man; 11-26-2018, 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• shpielers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• katanarider
    replied
    Looks like a jeep grill.

Leave a comment:

• ygolohcysp
    replied
    I guess I'll do another update. I have the upper triple mostly hogged out. Need to round off a few corners, cut some angled sides, drill and tap a few holes, and cut a couple slots. I think it's far enough along to be a good tease of the finished product. I did have one oops with an endmill. It's on the bottom side. Now that I have a TIG, I could always fill it back in, and then smooth it out, but I'm not sure if I'll bother.

This might also illustrate how I can have adjustable fork offset by making more oval pieces with holes off center.

Last edited by ygolohcysp; 11-25-2018, 02:29 AM. Reason: photo size

Leave a comment:

• ygolohcysp
    replied
    Finally another update!

So, a couple things. Has anyone talked sense into me yet? Hell no!

I've gotten started, and have made a couple pieces. A couple small pieces. I had to make a fixture plate for the rotary table to hold onto these parts. The largest dimensions with the flanges is 1.5" x 2", .125" flange. They aren't finished yet, but I'm only going to be drilling a hole in each one, reaming the hole to 24mm, and cutting a slit in one side. Because this bike is a prototype, I decided that adjustable fork offset would be nice if I could make the small inserts, so these will be where the stem goes through on the triple trees. I'll likely make 3 sets. Holes centered, 3mm offset, and 6mm offset. Wanted to make these first as proof of concept for being able to make and hold onto the small pieces.

Also of interest, I finally acquired a TIG welder, and did my first practice yesterday. Tried with 1/8" mild steel first. Didn't look that great, but the welds were functional-ish.

Then I tried aluminum that was a little thinner.

Apparently, that was beginner's luck. Still, I think with practice, I'll be fine. I tested several different types of joints. Butt, lap, T, outside corner. With one of them, I only welded about about .75" long, and I almost couldn't break it by hand. Next up, I'll be making the lower triple, upper triple, steering stem, and bearing head tube.

Leave a comment:

• Parts man
    replied
    Who u calling a wench lol

Leave a comment:

• ygolohcysp
    replied
    I wouldn't mind having a shop wench that could do some winching.

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    He could use a little of both.......lol

Leave a comment:

• Lunatic
    replied
    Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
    Time for an overhead chain wench.....
    I think you meant winch.

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    Time for an overhead chain wench.....

Leave a comment:

• ygolohcysp
    replied
    So, physical therapy is annoying and tedious. I'm making a little progress every day, but in the wise words of someone I've probably never met, "I WANNA BE IMPATIENT NOW!"

Anyway, I've measured and done mock ups of the pocket bike and a race prepped R6. Studied lengths, proportions, angles. I've come up with a design that's hand drawn using drafting tools. I still plan on potentially putting it into CAD software, just because.

I've also started collecting some raw materials. I have what I need to make the triple trees and stem. I'm seriously considering making the fork offset adjustable with the triples. I guess I'll try making the inserts first, and if I can get those good enough, then I'll do the triple trees to accept them.

If only I could lift the vice and or rotary table onto the mill. Oh well, I'll get there.

Leave a comment:

• shpielers
    replied
    My $.02, leave it here

Leave a comment:

• ygolohcysp
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunatic View Post
    Psychology,

I feel your pain as I too am rebuilding my B12 thread that got lost in the server crash.

On another note, it's good to see other machinist, welder, fabricator hobbyists out there. I worked at a place that had a CNC laser cutter, CNC press brake and lots of aluminum welders. While I no longer work there, I too have been purchasing some fabrication items for my garage. It takes time and money, that's for sure.

I like your ideas and can't wait to see them come to fruition. I like unique and different. I think the Grom wheels look far better then say, the Ruckus wheels.

I look forward to your build thread.
    Thank you. I've noticed you're rebuilding that thread. I may yet follow in your footsteps in that. Not sure yet.

So, I have the R6 shock, the Grom forks and lower triple, and new steering bearings. I'm fairly certain at this point that I'm going to make a new lower triple because the stock one is iron or steel. I'll have to make a new stem, cause it's welded in. I'm debating on whether or not I want to make the triple trees have pockets so I can make offset inserts to make the fork tube/steering stem offset adjustable, or if it would be easier to just make a couple sets of triple trees.

I'm currently reading up on chassis design, particularly the angle of the swingarm, chain, antisquat, moment arms and rotational torque from acceleration and braking. I figure the pocketbike works ridiculously well, so I'm going to take measurements of all the points on it to see what numbers and angles it has. Do the same with my buddy's race prepped R6. Study all the numbers, then start plotting the points that are known about the bike I'm building, like tire sizes, fork angle, axle locations, swingarm angle and length, swingarm pivot location, rearset and seat location, and then sort of connect the dots with the frame.

Anyway, here's the start to the bike:

Okay, this bike will be for racing, but building it won't really be race related. Should I keep this going as a build thread, or put it in the non katana forum?

Anyway, here's the beginning to my bike so far, plus the new bearings I have.

Leave a comment:

• Lunatic
    replied
    Psychology,

I feel your pain as I too am rebuilding my B12 thread that got lost in the server crash.

On another note, it's good to see other machinist, welder, fabricator hobbyists out there. I worked at a place that had a CNC laser cutter, CNC press brake and lots of aluminum welders. While I no longer work there, I too have been purchasing some fabrication items for my garage. It takes time and money, that's for sure.

I like your ideas and can't wait to see them come to fruition. I like unique and different. I think the Grom wheels look far better then say, the Ruckus wheels.

I look forward to your build thread.

Leave a comment:

• ygolohcysp
    replied
    Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
    Ok, I did a google search for crf150f supermoto miniGP
    Got this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjmKZopMOLg
    That was a crf150r. To be fair though, I was putting out about as much power with my air cooled 2 valve 150 motor, which is why my friend and I kept having reliability issues. That, and downshifting 3 gears at a time sometimes. Here's a video of the last session I did on the last endurance race I did with that bike.

This was my last session of the 4 hour endurance race as a 2 person team. I was a little tired. For those not familliar, it's a rule to stay in first the e...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X