Race report from May 15th at Willow Springs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race report from May 15th at Willow Springs

May 15th, 2011 - Willow Springs

Saturday - Must be Saturday practice blues because it rained a little and then the wind really picked up during morning practices. Wind was so bad that the bike was being blown to the outside of turn eight with the throttle rolled off. Didn't help that this was the first time back on the bike after the lowside in February and my hand would pretty much stop working after four laps. Good thing it was the clutch hand as a quickshifter and clutchless downshifts became the norm. Was running really slow (1:39's) and just couldn’t get much leverage on the left bar. Luckily, everyone else was battling the wind and weren't fairing any better.

Sunday - Morning practice was pretty much the same as Saturday as the hand was still giving me problems with turnin on left handers. Didn't improve times but, did figure out where I might be able to go faster to compensate for the weak left turns.
    First race was Open SuperBike and I was gridded second in the Novice wave. I knew the guy gridded first was easily 3 to 4 seconds faster than me so I was pretty determined to get a good holeshot (which I did). I was up in the expert wave going into turn one (a left hander) but since I couldn’t turn as well ended up running wide on the exit and a couple guys got past me. Held my own for the rest of the race however, could only run 1:39's consistently. Ended up finishing second in the Novice class but was pretty disappointed in my performance. The bike was flawless and thanks to the Torco oil was running really cool and never missed a beat.
    Second and third race were pretty much the same except I finished third in both of them. Actually managed to run a 1:38 in the last raced however, my hand had cramped around the grip so I couldn't feel it by the end. I had some pretty good dicing with my teammate and actually finished ahead of him in the last race so at least salvaged something.
    Thanks to MoPowerSports, HRS, Torco Lubricants, Sidi, Scorpion Helmets, TrackSkinz Leathers (new sponsor), Pit Bull, Bridgestone (CW Motorsports) and to my teammate and crew chief for helping me off the bike at the end.
    sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
    MSF Rider Coach 27028
    MoPowerSports.com
    Torco
    SoCalTrackDays

3 races with no grip strength ? That's pretty hardcore stuff

Comment

Not hardcore enough. Lap times sucked. Where you running a trackday next???
      sigpic

MSF Rider Coach 27028
      MoPowerSports.com
      Torco
      SoCalTrackDays

Comment

I am thinking probably September, although my buddies and I have been discussing doing the motoyard track night in July. I low sided yesterday going into turn 7 at streets, it is time to put some track body work on my R6

Comment

Ouch, how much damage???
          sigpic

MSF Rider Coach 27028
          MoPowerSports.com
          Torco
          SoCalTrackDays

Comment

I got off easy, a few scrapes and a mangled rearset. I missed one session, put the bike back together and finished the rest of the day, but i was never able to get to my morning pace :/ I didn't feel very confident

Comment

Is 7 the bowl or the left hander before it???
              sigpic

MSF Rider Coach 27028
              MoPowerSports.com
              Torco
              SoCalTrackDays

Comment

The left hander before it, I had been reeling in my buddies lap after lap, and I was a turn behind. I thought I'd be slick, take 7 tight and fast, and go into the bowl hot and catch them there, but I got it wrong and lost the front big time. It was embarrassing but that session was some of the best riding I'd ever done.

Comment

Yeah, that's an unusual place to lowside. Sounds like the front tucked from too much lean
                  sigpic

MSF Rider Coach 27028
                  MoPowerSports.com
                  Torco
                  SoCalTrackDays

Comment

that was the main thing. I went in too hot and tipped in too hard. Other factors I think were I was running a little lower pressures than I usually run and it was getting very hot out there, and it was my first time on the Advanced group, I just kept going faster and faster until the bike fell from under me.

Comment

That's racing Congrats on moving into the race group. Maybe you should think of getting your license and coming out with us???
                      sigpic

MSF Rider Coach 27028
                      MoPowerSports.com
                      Torco
                      SoCalTrackDays

Comment

I am thinking in a couple of years, but not yet. I was on pace for group A at Motoyard (I moved up because they had 40 riders in group B) , but I am middle of the pack group B on other trackday organizations like Keigwinns or Letsride.....I have much to improve on. But I am hoping in a couple of years I'd get my license...not sure I would jump into the superbike class though, maybe a twins/500 gp would be more my speed.

Comment

Working...
                        X