X

Sport Touring School

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Touring School

I took my '06 Kat 600 to the track (www.jenningsgp.com) this past Saturday. The event was a sport touring school sponsored by a club I belong to here in Florida. Lots of BMW's, a good mix of Ducati and GSXR's as well. There were a few SV650's, GS1200's and then there's my Kat.

My Kat is a street fighter, since the PO blew up all the body work. I've got a bike speedo and a set of idiot lights I made from LED's, and the only bodywork is a replacement tail cowling.

I had an absolute blast riding the Kat, and it's smaller size and lighter weight (than my regular street bikes) made it really easy for me to handle.

After a day at the track, I have greater respect for the bike and want to take it a to a few more track days before thinking of getting something else to ride like a SV or GSXR or CBR.

I have a couple of questions after my track time:
    • Where can I get some stickers for Katriders.com?
    • I was asked to put 600cc stickers on it since they thought it was a 750 or 1000 Kat
    • Has anyone set their bike up for GP shifting? How to do it?
    • What kind of frame sliders are best for my Kat? I don't have any bodywork on the frame.

Thanks and I'll post pics when I get them - it may be a couple of weeks thought.

thanks,
    Noodle
    Last edited by noodle; 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM.

Sounds like it was a good time. Braunstien on here sells slidersfor the Kat, do a search for them here on the site and it should pop up. As far as the stickers go I believe there is a sticky thread in either the vendors section or for sale section for the Official KR Merchandise. never tried to d oa GP shifting conversion, but I believe it involves flipping upside down on the shift shaft so the ball is just moving the oposite way. Not sure if the stock Kat parts will work to do that or not.

On another note, I'll be in FL Nov 7th and 8th, and we're trying to get a KR Group ride going on the 7th. You can find the thread in the southeast section of the forum.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

gp shifting can be very dangerous .. as you have trained yourself for normal shifting .. and in the heat of the moment .. instinct will take over .. not sure i understand why they insist on you tagging your engine size .. but stickers are easily come by
      so many roads so little time

Comment

I rode a friends GSXR1000 with GP shifting. It's useful because when banked over hard your foot can get caught between the shift lever and the foot peg. It's probably hard to do on the Kat without taking off the sidestand, and I probably won't pursue it much further.

I was wondering about the engine size stickers too... all I could figure was that I was going pretty fast and they were thinking it was a 750 or 1000?

Comment

Talk to blazerzr2 about custom stickers.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            Talk to blazerzr2 about custom stickers.
            I've PM'd him but no response.....

Comment

He was on yesterday morning.... I'll check with him later today.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Jennings is a great track. Since only motorcycles use the track it is nice and smooth (compared to tracks where cars race also). GP shifting is great for the track once you get used to it. You have to concentrate until it becomes natural. I use it on all my bikes (except my Harleys) and have since the early 80s so I only have to think about it if I'm not on one of my own bikes. I started using GP shifting on my 83 Katana (back in 83). I only had to flip lever on the shift shaft (as far as I remember).

Comment

Working...
                X