Clear All

sigpic
    -Cory-
    1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaKline View Post
      got a 2000 kat 750 with 771 kit 86-88 gsxr cams 36 mik smoothbores, dyna ing ,after market pipe ,barrnet clutch kit...ect.......best time stock 7.49..............1/8 mile now 6.90 and i drive it to work rear wheel dyno at 110 hp at 1100 rpms
      Who did the bore work? The later 750's had nikasil (or some similar treatment) cylinders. It's supposed to be expensive to have them bored and re-treated.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i used a 91 model block.....and dont use kat tranny or clulch basket for i has broke 2nd gear twice,and been though a couple kat bakets too ! The older the part the stonger they are in some case....so my kat a 2000 mix with older 750 parts......so its black and silver ....fixing to go for a ride right after the cowboy game ...its about 70 deg out......its a running motherf@^!er.... have to contact wiesco about plating ,dont think they req. any plating though.......should be able to bore and prep a kat block no matter what year I believe all the 749 case are useable from 86 to 2006
        KatanaKline

Comment

i used a 91 model block.....and dont use kat tranny or clulch basket for i has broke 2nd gear twice,and been though a couple kat bakets too ! The older the part the stonger they are in some case....so my kat a 2000 mix with older 750 parts......so its black and silver ....fixing to go for a ride right after the cowboy game ...its about 70 deg out......its a running motherf@^!er.... have to contact wiesco about plating ,dont think they req. any plating though.......should be able to bore and prep a kat block no matter what year I believe all the 749 case are useable from 86 to 2006
          Running the 91 GSXR block is a better idea. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the 98+ Kat blocks were plated/treated. Are you still using the Kat head?
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post

+1

should be able to bore and prep a kat block no matter what year I believe all the 749 case are useable from 86 to 2006
            You CAN but......

See post #5 and #8 on this one:

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86056&highlight=boring+block
            02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
            90 GSXR 750/1216
            96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
            87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
            sigpic

Comment

the block have the same sleeves 2000 and up just have a what ever coating.....just have it bore and hone to 771 piston kit for 99 and older piston kit that doesnt need platting!!!!!! 99 kat head with 86 88 gsxr cams..
              KatanaKline

Comment

well im wrong again....talk to my machinist and there a kat solid block with no sleeves with nikasil coating that he nor i have seen yet...400 dollar job...he says it really a kickass block too!........never seen a kat with a solid block with no sleeves....what the heck they made of ... ......... my bad
                KatanaKline

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                  Like I said, I'm pretty sure the 98+ Kat blocks were plated/treated.
                  Yup, Nikasil plated. Yet another reason pre-98 is preferred to 98+ for performance (as if you needed any more reasons )
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

well im wrong again....talk to my machinist and there a kat solid block with no sleeves with nikasil coating that he nor i have seen yet...400 dollar job...he says it really a kickass block too!........never seen a kat with a solid block with no sleeves....what the heck they made of ... ......... my bad
                    they're made out of pixy-dust epoxy. No, really.... I have no idea. The 98+ 750 is supposed to have a stouter bottom end (double roller bearings on the output shaft, IIRC), and a decent head. The pre98 750 has a better head, but of course is the short stroke 750. I think a 98+ 750 bottom end, with a 90-92 block, bored to 73mm, with a pre98 750 head and GSXR cams would probably be quite a setup!

Comment

• Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                      they're made out of pixy-dust epoxy. No, really.... I have no idea. The 98+ 750 is supposed to have a stouter bottom end (double roller bearings on the output shaft, IIRC), and a decent head. The pre98 750 has a better head, but of course is the short stroke 750. I think a 98+ 750 bottom end, with a 90-92 block, bored to 73mm, with a pre98 750 head and GSXR cams would probably be quite a setup!
                      Consider that post saved!
                      02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                      90 GSXR 750/1216
                      96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                      87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                      sigpic

Comment

• ive only ran my 90' kat 750 in the 1/8 mile (cuz its all i have nearby). i ran 7.32 @ 98mph i think i should be in the 11's

Comment

• Coming from a street racing/ drag racing hot rod back ground. I can't gte over how affordable these bikes are for how fast they are. I have had many bikes over the years and even my first bike a little 1979 XS 400 was fast for it's size. My last hot rod was a 1965 Mustang running a built 351w making 400hp at the wheels an aided by a 150 shot. Without any juice it ran a best of 12.3 @ 112 mph thats at 4600 feet. Not bad for an all home built hot rod. But now my 03 750 kat will out run it in the 1/4,0-60 and out stop it and out handle it any day all for $2800. I still like to play on the street now then just stop light stuff always fun to blow any these high dollar high horse power cars on a little 750. That gets over 45 mpg handles like a sports car and keeps me smiling all day long.
                          Thanks for all the times and info on racing your bikes. I can't wait to get it to the track. BTW it's stock but for the Vance&Hines exhaust.
                          2003 Katana 750F
                          1986 VFR 700F

Comment

• This is according to my Haynes book:

gsx600f 1/4 mile 12.2 secs
                            speed 1/4 mile 110mph ( 176km/h )
                            engine: 73 bhp

gsx750f 1/4 mile 11.8 secs
                            speed 1/4 mile 117 mph ( 188km/h )
                            engine: 92 bhp

gsx750 1/4 mile 12.3 secs
                            speed 1/4 mile 112 mph ( 180 km/h )
                            engine: 86 bhp

In my oppinion its not bad at all for a weak motorcycle (compared to many other motorcycles ) , it compares to a 400hp sportscar (ish)

example : http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/new911.html

the 600F in this list is the 2001 I guess since its got only 73 hp instead of 86 or whatever they had in 1998. so I guess if you have a 98 model you should do below 12 at least for the 600F.
                            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

• Originally posted by tasertotts View Post
                              ive only ran my 90' kat 750 in the 1/8 mile (cuz its all i have nearby). i ran 7.32 @ 98mph i think i should be in the 11's
                              That should amount to a mid-11's run..... 11.4 if it's got a screaming top end to maybe an 11.8 at worst.

Comment

Working...
                              X