X

Road Atlanta weekend review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Atlanta weekend review

This weekend was a good one! Adam came over Friday morning since he was riding down with me and we got loaded up. We ran into some serious weather on the way and I almost screwed up the trip when we ran into stand still traffic on the highway, but thank God for anti lock and trailer brakes! We are literaly about 3 feet from nailing the truck in front of us when traffic moved enough to allow me to finish stopping and all of us were adrenalin pumped for a while afterwards! Like I said though, the weather sucked and we changed our plans of grilling at the track and stopped for dinner while some of it cleared out. We finally got to the track after it had stopped raining and got set up though.

Saturday morning was perfect. Cool and sunny! We got tech'd and did the rider meeting while Donna hooked breakfast up for us and then headed out after A group. This track has been changed since the last time I was here over 25 years ago and some things caught me seriously off guard so the first few sessions were cautious in areas but I picked it up later on. This track is a big bike heaven with a looooong back straight and I was getting killed back there and then catching them on the brakes going into T10. There are a few sections that I just never really could get a good feel for, most notably T3 and T7, but I was passing out of T6 into T7 a good bit too which took me in hot many times. I have now discovered that you CAN pin it WFO on the rumble strips and it will hold! I ran best times in the 1:44 range and, unless I finally find my ballz, that's about as fast as I cared to go here. I may have Rick do my forks for a better feel, but to be honest, this bike now has over 2000 miles and all of it is track with stock suspension and fork oil, so I need to address this, but I just was not feeling the front as well as I wanted. The Power Race mediums never once let me down or spun up and I finally found my magic air pressure settings at 22 rear and 28 front. The wear was fantastic! Adam and I both flipped the rears Saturday evening and I can easily pull another day out of the rear and these now have three days on them.

Track sample.... You pit out and hit the track going into T2, which is a quick left and leads into a right at T3. Bang left and shoot for the apex in T4 and pin it for a fast sweeper down hill to the S's which is a fast right/left/right to T5 which is an uphill left. Pin it again and crest the hill carrying the front end and haus *** the the braking point for T6 which is a fast right and set get into your braking and turn in point for the right at T7. Ride the rumble strip out of T7 (If you are me that is...) and pin it. Up shift through 6th gear down the loooooong back strech and keep in pinned through the righ hand kink to your down hill braking point for the tight left at T10a then a quick juke right in 10b and up hill to the bridge and back down hill to T12 where you are hard on the brakes. Hit T12 and pin it for the front straight to the down shift and braking point for a fast right T1.

Saturday evening was spent doing the tires and sampling the beverage of choice and grilling up steaks and potatoes.

Sunday was started off early in order to try and get as much track time as possible with a 2 1/2 hour quiet time so the 1st session was 30 minutes. I was a bit frustrated with this session and just was not into it, but things went better later on and I got back down to the low 1:45's again. I need to work on the few things, but I found myself going hot many times and just killing my corner speed. Slooooooow down and get smooth again is gonna be the moto next time out, but I had a great last couple sessions where I was dicing it up with a fast kid on a Gix 1000 and got to play the late brake and corner speed game which helped get me back awake! The last session of the weekend was spend playing around with Adam passing each other back and forth for good video stuff!
    We got wrapped up, packed up, and pulled into the driveway about midnight and unpacked.

It was a long, but most excellent weekend on a fantastic track!

Loading up...

This don't look good.....

Pit set up. That's Adam's condo behind the trailer!

Adam doing the Bazazz tuning thing. That bike is crazy fast for a Gix 750!

Rider meeting....

Coming down the S's....

Coming out of T5 and going up hill you tend to loft the front a bit!

Adam was ripping his tire up......

Chris showed up Sunday! He was pulling mid 1:30's with toasted front brakes and using the rear brake ONLY!

I think he needs to feed his pit wrench though......

Me and Adam in 10b I think...

I believe this is T7..

Ron
    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Excellent write up again Ron...

Looks like you're having a blast out there. I got to do a 2nd trackday this pass weekend... I'm addicted, and hopefully with some practice be able to get some pics and video like yours...

Keep up the good work...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Great report & pics
      25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

thanks for sharing Ron, excellent pics as always. Any chance you will make it to the rally this Summer?

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

awesome pics. i cant even tell you how jealous i am!!! lol
          sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
          k9 GSX-R 600
          GO VOLS!

Comment

You know what I usually say in this case .......
            Guylaine
            Try and keep up now

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk View Post
              Adam was ripping his tire up......

What tire is he running?

Looks like you had a blast
              I am hitting up Carolina motorsports park 24th-26th, will report as well.
              sigpic

Comment

We were both running Power Race medium compound, but I believe that he was running into a suspension problem that was causing his wear. I finally got my air pressures with these tires sorted out and run them at 28 front and 22 rear cold pressures. That was about perfect!

Any chance you will make it to the rally this Summer?
                I am going to attempt to get out there for a couple days, but I have 3 track days lined up in July also. If I make it I will be riding the Aprilia out and crashing out on the lawn or somthing!
                Ron
                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk View Post
                  We were both running Power Race medium compound, but I believe that he was running into a suspension problem that was causing his wear. I finally got my air pressures with these tires sorted out and run them at 28 front and 22 rear cold pressures. That was about perfect!

I am going to attempt to get out there for a couple days, but I have 3 track days lined up in July also. If I make it I will be riding the Aprilia out and crashing out on the lawn or somthing!
                  Looks like a cold tear to me.
                  sigpic

Comment

If you had seen it when it started you would be thinking differently.
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I'll admit its a peculiar wear.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X