X

Insurance coverage and race tracks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance coverage and race tracks

I have been thinking about having my first track day, but my biggest concern isn't the prep work for the bike, I want to know if in the event of a crash, insurance companies would pay out for it.

I called my insurance company today (I have Esurance) My policy is for full coverage.

I checked my policy, but unsure i called my agent. The agent i spoke with wasn't able to give me a straight yes or no answer because it was kind of a gray area in the terms of coverage in my policy.

Word for word my policy states:

Your insured vehicle is excluded if:
    a: used in any unlawful trade or transportation
    b: used for a commercial purpose
    c: being operated in or planning for any:
    -race
    -speed contest
    -hill-climbing contest; or
    -performance contest of any kind

We both interpreted this as saying "As long as you are not racing or participating in any kind of competition, you are insured"

Do you guys agree? What experiences have you had with insurance companies and tracks?

Is use of the track defined as racing, or simply just use of the track?

Thanks in advance
    Let's go riding!

Dunno man.. playing devils advocate, I can see them putting it under a "speed challenge". Might want to look at an independant insurance for the track day in question ( BTW, I don't have any pointers at to which company would do that ).
    sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Pretty sure you are not insured at the track on most policies.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I personally believe they should, due to the fact that you are trying to learn or improve skills on a closed course without police, traffic, pedestrians, etc. But my opinion won't pay for any damages if you wreck so I would say a definite NO on the insurance coverage. I just have liability on my rides, I am planning to go to the track for the first time sometime this year. Now if I paid out my wazoo for full coverage for my bikes I would have half a mind to toss my bike off the trailer or truck on the way home, then make the claim. I looked at another forum and some have stated that as long as it is not a "timed" event then you are covered. I wouldn't stop with an unsure answer from the agent. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Comment

ugh, that sucks, because there is no way i'm gonna go unless i'm insured.
          Let's go riding!

Comment

rent a u-haul. if you crash, on the way home... crash the u-haul and say the bike got damaged from that crash
            2004 Katana
            GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Most policies have blanket exclusions for "off road" use - that would certainly include the track. If you don't have that exclusion I'm sure there is some other general exclusion that they can use to cover track use.

Comment

I have had my friends check theirs and they were told that as long as it wasn't an organized racing event, like a WERA race or something, then you ARE covered. It is considered as an exercise to improve your riding skills.
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

dito on the off road use no insurance
                  if you could find coverage they will rape you on the cost
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

DUde , if they can get out of paying you , they're gonna . They WILL call it whatever they have to to get out of it . It's a business out toMAKE money , not give it away . It ain't gonna matter .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      DUde , if they can get out of paying you , they're gonna . They WILL call it whatever they have to to get out of it . It's a business out toMAKE money , not give it away . It ain't gonna matter .
                      i work for a health insurance company and we all know how they try to get out of paying claims.

Comment

Oh , I KNOW . My dr called them to see if they covered something . They told me it was covered it 100% . Then 2 months later I got a nice large bill from them .When I asked ,they said my company decided they only wanted to pay part of it . Said they do it all the time . I'm told my allergy shots are covered at 100% , too . Waiting on another large bill from THAT one ....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I asked State Farm about my racing at the Drag Strip and they stated that it would not be covered! They also said that most Insurance companies would not cover any damages. I asked about my Mustang also and got the same response. I then asked them if I decided to buy a brand new Corvette and take it to the track just for fun and get into an accident would it be covered? Same reply....................I'm stuck with the bill and car note. What is more strange is that it is nearly 8pm here and while typing this reply just now, State Farm just called and would like to go over my policy! Maybe they saw me at the track, lol. Strange.................................FCB
                          1991 KAT....... Extended swing Arm, Pipe, Shinko slick , strap, 45T, 2-Step, 750cc 7.1@97 1/8th mile
                          2006 Hayabusa.........Extended, Strap, lowered, Shinko, Pipe, PC,
                          6.1 116mph 1/8th mile

Comment

Well, I just got my packet to renew my policy for the year. This one specifically says I am not covered if the bike is used for any reason on a sanctioned or unsanctioned race course. Even in non-competition.

At least my premium went down $80 from last year!
                            Let's go riding!

Comment

Got a cop-buddy? Get him to write out an accident report and say you were driving down the road when the wreck happened. just kidding, then it'd be fraud if you got caught..
                              02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                              90 GSXR 750/1216
                              96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                              87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X