X

I want to race but where to start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to race but where to start?

I am a new rider that is a fast learner. I love watching racing and I love turns but I don't know how to get into racing altogether. I hope I can get started soon. Hope everyone is having an awesome holidays and a great new years

if your new to bikes i would suggest going to a racing school that many tracks offer. you will get in class lessons, and practical learning on the track with instructor. thats where i would start.

Comment

after taking the MSF!
      sigpic

Comment

if your over 15 and have never ridden you have .0001% chance of being pro/sponsored

Comment

...now, now Edbean we are supposed to encourage and uplift.
          Funny you should ask because I am doing the same thing now except I am on the East Coast.

1.If you have never ridden then I would take the MSF course for the basics. I did and loved it.

2. Find a local club or even check up on here and go and ride some trackdays. Trackdays will put you familar with a racetrack and get you comfortable riding fast and safe.

3.Find you a racing school. Here in Atlanta we have several, however I will be attending the Ed Bargy School here in the Atlanta area, well north of the city. From there I am going to start off with the Western Eastern Racers Association.(WERA) You should have a regional chapter for WERA in your area so search online and see what you find.
          FROM WORK:
          "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

I was uplifting him by sparing him the pain of realizing he most likely wont be able to do it after he re-mortgaged his home and sold the boat.

I wish you the best man, hell i wish i could do that sh*t... just realize its a very expensive hobby/sport and very few positions open up.

Comment

nah dont listen to ed....if you wanna race just gear up and hit the town and challenge everybody that wants to run

Ok ok ok kidding, before the flaming starts

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

go to some trackday and see if you even like riding on the track your in flagstaff so you got phoenix (firebird) las vegas (lvms classic course) pahrump jsut west of vegas (smmp) miller in toole utah an secco arroyo in new mexico all withing a 5 hrs to 7 hr drive from you
                I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin View Post
                  go to some trackday and see if you even like riding on the track your in flagstaff so you got phoenix (firebird) las vegas (lvms classic course) pahrump jsut west of vegas (smmp) miller in toole utah an secco arroyo in new mexico all withing a 5 hrs to 7 hr drive from you

Comment

Sweet thank you all some much I have been riding for a long time I didn't start until after I turned 18 just cuz of mother. lol she would have gone nuts if she found out i had a bike at that age. lol but I had a kat than i have a kat now and i just can't get enough but Thank you so much and the reason why i don't know that much about the bike world is cuz i'm a dancer i never showed any excitment about bikes.
                    Last edited by azmonkeyrider83; 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM. Reason: i was not finished

Comment

Hopefully I'll get to do some racing too.... But it all starts with trackdays... After you get some experience out there with the fast guys you will have a better understanding of what it's like having other riders hauling a$$ around you....
                      Remember that almost nothing from your street experience transfers over to fast track riding... It takes a whole different level of trust(not to mention skill) and focus to be able stay on a fast pace...(at least in my first trackday experience)...

Good luck with it...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

^

Basically what hes saying is you either need to be so good that you have enough skill not worry about it, or...... so young and stupid (why im good at riding) that you dont think about it.

Comment

Find a track near you that does trackdays and get on it!
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

theres all kinds of levels of racing from motogp on down to the beer leauges (vintage ). Don't have to be a Rossi to race (or think you are gonna be). Just go out and have fun. Depending on what bike you're running it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. In fact, some guys can do an entire year (5-6 events) on the same amount you probably spend on the street. They run scrubs, camp at the track/in a car and eat ramen. Other guys run fresh tires every sprint, stay at hotels, eat out, and have a 35' toy hauler and dually diesel (doesn't make them faster than bobby budget, just means they spent more). all depends where you wanna take it. no need for sponsers, or endoresment deals outta the box (insane to even suggest it). If you were closer to Ontario Canada I'd say check out SOAR @ http://www.soaracing.ca/

Comment

^^^ I like Dan's take on it... in the next year my wife and I will probably end up owning some sv650's for the track (if we can find some good deals)... Just so that we don't end up trashing her 675 while testing out the frame sliders... I'd much rather see $2000 sliding down the track as opposed to $9000...

Not to mention camping at the track can be alot of fun too... We did earlier this year when my wife was at her first trackday... Good times when you invite family...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Working...
                              X