X

Starting issues...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting issues...

Hey guys I'm having a difficult time with my 98 gsx600f. Has a brand new battery shows 180 cca it's a 9-bs has 8ah. Dosent not want to start the majority of the time has slow crank no draw on system will start if I jump it but takes awhile generator charges at 14.6 at 5000 rpm I'm a bit stumped. Should I get a bigger battery?

Originally posted by Bossman2231 View Post
    Hey guys I'm having a difficult time with my 98 gsx600f. Has a brand new battery shows 180 cca it's a 9-bs has 8ah. Dosent not want to start the majority of the time has slow crank no draw on system will start if I jump it but takes awhile generator charges at 14.6 at 5000 rpm I'm a bit stumped. Should I get a bigger battery?
    Get a digital volt meter.

Check voltages at the battery 3 times... key off, key on, starter turning motor over.

Check voltages at the coils 2 times... key on, starter turning the motor over.

If ever under 11v, the bike won't run.

If the battery is putting out over 11v, but your not getting that to the coils... you need to address the wiring issue causing the drop.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Voltage at battery with my fluke 88 is 12.5 to 12.9 however when starting it drops to 7-10 volts. I'm a car guy and I would assume it has excessive draw when starting. And I don't see in the manual the spec for it

Comment

Voltage at battery with my fluke 88 is 12.5 to 12.9 however when starting it drops to 7-10 volts. I'm a car guy and I would assume it has excessive draw when starting. And I don't see in the manual the spec for it
        If it's not a bad battery simply failing at load, the next check would be the starter. It may need to be pulled apart and cleaned/rebuilt.

It's definitely not going to cold start at 7-10v. Simply not enough voltage for the coils to make enough of a spark on the plugs to start when cold.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i have never pulled a starter apart before is there anything in particular I should look for? I tested the battery with a snap-on battery tester and it read a good battery. im leaning more toward high resistance in the starter. but after I start it and drive it, it starts fine but if it sits all night in the morning it dosent want to start.

For giggles I went out and tried starting the bike after soaking all night and day. I have discovered something. when trying to start it turns over kinda slow, after a few turns it starts to get much faster and the bike does start. what does that sound like? battery not able to put enough juice to start until warmed up?
          Last edited by Bossman2231; 07-21-2017, 07:48 PM. Reason: add

Comment

i have never pulled a starter apart before is there anything in particular I should look for? I tested the battery with a snap-on battery tester and it read a good battery. im leaning more toward high resistance in the starter. but after I start it and drive it, it starts fine but if it sits all night in the morning it dosent want to start.

For giggles I went out and tried starting the bike after soaking all night and day. I have discovered something. when trying to start it turns over kinda slow, after a few turns it starts to get much faster and the bike does start. what does that sound like? battery not able to put enough juice to start until warmed up?
            Suggests to me the starter needs attention. Battery should not give more power after a moment, can't think of a single reason that would happen. On the other hand, a starter may need a lot more draw initially to get it started to turn over and improve slightly once it is.

It's not hard to pull apart. You need to clean, lube, and check the brushes inside. It's probably gonna be apparent what the issue is once you open it up though.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Alright I will pull it and look. I did some searching and found a new starter for $85 and a rebuild brushes for $35. I will take it apart and decided from there thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X