X

Bike turns off all electrics when I click the starter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike turns off all electrics when I click the starter

Tried finding the same problem by searching but came up blank.

My friend borrowed my bike and tried to jump start it with one of those car boost packs. He was unable to get the clamps onto the battery terminals and instead used the battery tender connection I have going out the side of the bike (https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...FACZ3JAVJRJ677). Said there was smoke and he immediately took it off.

Looks like the battery tender connection is fried, but weirdly it didnt blow the 7.5 amp fuse in it. Anyways I removed the battery tender quick disconnect and tried to start the bike. with the key in I have lights and everything is normal. As soon as I hit the starter, all the electrics go out including the clock. With the battery tender connected to it (for less than 5 seconds) it fires right up and and stays on. This makes me think that there is something in the starter circuit that is not connecting, but somehow gets bypassed with the tender on.

I checked all the fuses including the 30 amp on the side and all is well. Anyone have an idea of what to look at next?
    --

Originally posted by donlon101 View Post
    Tried finding the same problem by searching but came up blank.

My friend borrowed my bike and tried to jump start it with one of those car boost packs. He was unable to get the clamps onto the battery terminals and instead used the battery tender connection I have going out the side of the bike (https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...FACZ3JAVJRJ677). Said there was smoke and he immediately took it off.

Looks like the battery tender connection is fried, but weirdly it didnt blow the 7.5 amp fuse in it. Anyways I removed the battery tender quick disconnect and tried to start the bike. with the key in I have lights and everything is normal. As soon as I hit the starter, all the electrics go out including the clock. With the battery tender connected to it (for less than 5 seconds) it fires right up and and stays on. This makes me think that there is something in the starter circuit that is not connecting, but somehow gets bypassed with the tender on.

I checked all the fuses including the 30 amp on the side and all is well. Anyone have an idea of what to look at next?
    Battery?
    2002 750 Kat
    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

I wish, already tried swapping same issue.
      --

Comment

First off high amp load on a 16 ga wire....yeah, there will be smoke. Hunt down the other burnt wires and or components. Like the starter relay. I'm thinking he's not telling you he tried to start it while connected to the jump pac. Or he installed the jump PAC backwards.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 12-20-2016, 10:14 PM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Hmm good call. Anything I can do with my multimeter to narrow down the search?

I trust that he didnt hit the starter with the booster pack on because he said it started smoking instantly before he had a chance to release the clamps. Thats where I am struggling to understand how the starter button circuit doesnt work with the button pressed in but with the button out all is normal. Not sure if that makes sense.

I would understand it if the starter button was pressed down while the booster pack overloaded the circuit.
          Last edited by donlon101; 12-21-2016, 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          --

Comment

First, charge the battery and take it to be load tested, you never know until it's been tested. Second, If he installed it backwards, the only damage would be the 16ga wire burning up.
            Now to basic testing (PLEASE ENSURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL!!!)
            Locate the relay- pre right side of the bike. Post, left side of the bike. Disconnect the start button wire from it. Then push the start button. Does the same issue occur? Yes, then the problem maybe between the start button and the relay. No, the problem maybe the relay or the starter. Now, just to confirm this theory, run a wire from the battery, with a fuse, and temp touch the relay at the start button connection. Problem still exist? Yes, use a heavy ga wire and jump the 2 large lugs on the relay. Does the starter turn? Yes, bad relay. No, either a bad starter. If everything checks fine there, you need to do some tracing. The manual helps here. There is one for download here in mechanics 101.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
            X