X

Pre 600 ignition coil questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 600 ignition coil questions

First question will 1100 coils work on my six? Looks like the same pack to me. Second generally I'm good about labeling and taking pics before disassembly but in my eagerness to start my teardown I plucked the wires off my left pack yesterday. Not sure which way they go back. Orange on top or bottom? Or does it even matter?

Haha update another question: will post six coils work for my pre?
    Last edited by Beer4blood; 09-19-2016, 06:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It does not matter for the leads top or bottom. As for if there are differences between coils, I don't know. I suggest you cross refrence part numbers. If they match, well... that would answer the question.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I didn't think leads would matter thanks I'll try to cross reference but if anyone wants to politely chime in before I get to it...by all means

Comment

Yes the pre and post are interchangeable

Comment

The stock coils have a cast in neg and plus sign on the side by where the connections are. I have heard people say it doesnt matter on stock coils but I believe it does or why would the mark them neg and plus?
          Last edited by ZookRick; 09-19-2016, 02:55 PM.
          1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
          V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
          Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

I would think the structure is similar to a light bulb tho....as long as the circuit flows through it it's gonna light up...regardless of direction

Comment

No, more to a transformer. A loop of wire (a longe piece of wire) and iron core. The more loops you have the higher resistance you will have. More resistance= more power to drive them= stronger electronics. Thats why 3ohm is all you should use. Or a total of...
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                No, more to a transformer. A loop of wire (a longe piece of wire) and iron core. The more loops you have the higher resistance you will have. More resistance= more power to drive them= stronger electronics. Thats why 3ohm is all you should use. Or a total of...
                Interesting....is that what the stock coil pack runs at? I was using the light as my example because no matter which side you put positive and negative on the light will still burn

I'm assuming the coils work in a similar fashion.
                Last edited by Beer4blood; 09-19-2016, 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Whatever, but if you are hooking them up why not get the polarity right? Suzuki didnt mark them for no reason. FWIW
                  1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                  V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                  Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Originally posted by Beer4blood View Post
                    Interesting....is that what the stock coil pack runs at? I was using the light as my example because no matter which side you put positive and negative on the light will still burn

I'm assuming the coils work in a similar fashion.
                    Well....not quite, bulbs burn out. Coils can loose spark but, still have a spark.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                    X