What is this thing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this thing?

Hi,

I'm currently overhauling a few things and putting an aftermarket horn in.

When I went to examine the wiring loom I noticed an extra connector just loose on the side of the bike.

I can't find it on the wiring diagram but I'll admit I'm not too good at reading them. I have very little electrical experience.

Pictures are attached. 1999 Katana 600 model X

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lostidentity; 08-22-2016, 01:08 AM. Reason: Clarification on title.

Just a plug. I've got the same one. No big deal

Comment

That may be the power plug for some California only systems, like carb cooling fan.
      Check the wire color codes.

Comment

Wrong side of the bike for Cali smog, factory test plug. Not all plugs have a mate.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

No Kat has a "test" plug. There is no computer for it to connect to on a Kat. On a post, that is part of the cali emmisions. The pre has just the plug for the fan in the center. The post has the additional relay up on the front right side.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok....if there are no "test points" Then answer why there are plugs that connect to absolutely nothing......they are there for a reason...

FYI: The pre had more than the fan connection for Cali smog. It also had a temp sensor under the tank.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-25-2016, 06:28 PM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Ok....if there are no "test points" Then answer why there are plugs that connect to absolutely nothing......they are there for a reason...

I just did. They are for the cali emissions hardware.

All Katana wiring harness are made to the cali spec. It's cheaper to stock and keep 1 part on hand than have 2 and deal with the logistics of what is or isn't matching up.

So... every bike get the cali harness, and then the cali model bikes get the additional hardware and equipment those plugs are used for. Non cali bikes just get left with dangling plugs.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Even my pre has plugs that aren't used, what are they for? If not for measurement or testing. It was a Cali model it had all the crap on it..
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-25-2016, 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

The pre has 1 aux plug near the battery, other than that... post a pic and I'll track it down for you.

As for the prior post... The plug pictured is the CA emmisions controller...

If you check here, it's part # 22. http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...7655#sch507849

Additionally you have a fan plug that powers the carb fan. (on all models pre and post).

And finally there is a 3rd plug on the post kats that is a controller for the fan.

Part 17...

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

There's two at the gauge pod. and couple others that the diagram doesn't show.
                    Now I'll have to find out what they go to.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

On my post 750, it is on the right side, high up on the frame. I found that there is +12V available on one of the wires so I used it to power my GPS and USB power ports. It's hot all the time which is good for phone charging, etc.
                      2005 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                      X