No announcement yet.
X

Died on interstate and now won't start.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Died on interstate and now won't start.

First, I have a Katana 750 2006. I took a trip out of town recently and rode for about 2 hours to get there. Parked the bike and left it for three days. On the way back home I made it about an 1 and a half, then the engine just shut off when I was doing about 70mph going down the interstate. I rolled to a stop on the side of the road and tried to start it back up with no success. After checking all the obvious issues I had it towed back to my place.

Since then I have not been able to get it to turn over or even attempt to turn over. The lights all come on and it looks like it is ready to start, I press the starter, lights dim, and nothing at all. No motion from the starter at all. I have taken the battery up to a shop and had it checked, changed ALL of the fuses (had spare fuses and no way to check the current ones so I just replaced em all), looked everywhere for any loose wires or burnt connections, checked for a loose clutch switch, and disassembled the starter/kill switch to check those, checked any wiring issue for the stand switch(don't know how else to check that).

I really don't think the starter is the issue since it cut off going down the road. I know you can jump the fi plug and I would give you any fi codes for it, but honestly I don't know where the plug for the fi is.

I am at a loss of what to do now.

That's because there isn't an FI code to find, it's old school carbs and just an ignition box.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'd be looking at that battery again. When you had it checked was it load tested of did they just slap a multi-meter on it and call it good?

Other than that I'd be checking grounding points in the starting circuit.

Comment

I don't think they load tested it. However, I forgot to mention, the battery is 4-5 MONTHS old. I replaced it earlier this year. It was at least 5 years old before that so I assume it was just an old battery. It was having trouble holding a charge. Haven't had issues since it was replaced. I'll check on the grounding points later on this afternoon and see if that leads to anything.

Edit: I just realized by starter circuit you probably mean the starter relay with the 30 fuses.... checked that too already. If that's not what you meant please let me know.
        Last edited by neogenics; 06-18-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Have you tried jump starting it? From a car battery works (car NOT running).

It could be that your charging system has a problem which would cause your battery to get used up as you ride until it is just gone. Might still show 12 volts at rest with no load, but has no amperage left to crank the engine over.

Comment

Yes I tried jumping it. No change at all. With or without jumpers... the engine just doesn't even try to crank. No dying sound or anything

Oh and the battery definitely has a charge... I almost shocked myself when checking those 30's dropped my pliers on the + connection and sparks went flying...
            Last edited by neogenics; 06-18-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

You didn't seize that motor up did you? I'd pull the plugs to see if she'll turn over. Check oil level? Weird how it just shut down on the highway like that.
              We have seen batteries that showed voltage but tapped out under load when you hit the starter switch. How old is the battery?

Comment

As I said, the battery is 4-5 months, not years, old. I really doubt it is a battery issue. Oil level is goo, I had just replaced a seal in the engine a few weeks before this and had to fill the oil. I'm not sure how to check if I seized the engine, or what "pull the plugs means". I'm not a mechanic at all, just have taken the initiative to learn to take care of my own stuff when it breaks.

Comment

A good way to test it, put a meter on it and try to start. The voltage will fall on its face. Sounds like electrical issue too me. Check all plugs for burns, check all exposed wiring for chaffing and grounding out. Check to see if the starter relay is getting 12v on the small wires when trying to start, and it does latch. You can bypass start the bike with a large gauge wire jumped across the large terminals.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

"Pull the plugs" means removing the spark plugs. do that and the engine no longer has to work against compression to try to start, so much easier to crank.

What loneraider was suggesting was to remove the plugs and try hand cranking the engine to see if it will move art all. To do that you need to remove the stator cover (right side, if you were on the bike) and crank it over (clockwise) with a 19mm socket. with the plugs removed it should be a smooth turn. If it get tight and then easy you may have deeper problems.

Comment

So I went to go get a multimeter, checked the power at the battery. Bout 12.3v at rest, exact same when the starter was pressed. However, at the starter relay, 0 volts at the wires that come out. Replaced both 30amp fuses earlier, so I know they are good. At this point, I guess it's safe to say it's the starter relay.

Definitely the relay, just bypassed it with a thick wire and it started up. So, I'll order a new one and replace it. Thanks for giving me some direction on what to look for guys. I appreciate it so much.
                      Last edited by neogenics; 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X