X

blown signal flasher relays

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown signal flasher relays

I have an '89 model that has the flasher connection that allows an automotive flasher to plug right in. I went through 2 or 3 of those before ordering one from Taiwan that looks exactly like the stock one and it lasted for a couple years. It recently stopped working. I ordered a couple more of the good ones or the ones that lasted.
    I am wondering if my high running battery voltage (about 15v) is frying these. Is anyone else using automotive ones and not having a problem with them dying?

Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Your voltage is probably killing them. They are rated for 12. A voltage regulator that goes right before the flasher to bring it down to 12 may be your answer. Another possibility may be a 24v one but it will blink slower.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
      Your voltage is probably killing them. They are rated for 12. A voltage regulator that goes right before the flasher to bring it down to 12 may be your answer. Another possibility may be a 24v one but it will blink slower.
      Nothing else electrical is blowing on the bike. How would I put a regulator in line before the flasher? Hmm maybe a resistor? Might be easier to fix the alternator to not put out so much voltage. I did clean the connections between the alternator and wiring harness, didnt make any difference. I have heard of wiring in a relay so the alternator senses full battery voltage. Sounds like a band aid to me.
      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
      V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
      Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

I don't know...I would get the alternator right and make sure it is putting out the right voltage - which should be somewhere around 13.8v.

A quick Google search brought up this: Inline Regulator 12-17v input

The reason I mentioned that you are over-volting it, is because A) You mentioned running @ 15v and B) I understand how flashers work. The contacts heat up and cool down, causing them to break contact, then re-contact and light the bulb. If the voltage is too high (25% higher @ 15v) - it isn't going to operate as designed.

I would personally get the alternator right and put the factory spec flasher back in...I'd also go over all the wiring and make sure that those crappy connectors they used aren't all oxidized and corroded. If you don't feel like doing all that, use the voltage regulator on the input side of the flasher.

Comment

Working...
        X