X

Bad coils or not

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CLYNT BEASTWOOD View Post
    I don't have a write up, a little bit of 18g wiring, some denso pigtails, four 2002 gsxr coils. That's about it. Wire the coils for 1&4 in series then 2&3 in series. Connect to stock coil leads coming from the cdi. Voila COP made easy

It's not as fancy or complex as junker's setup but it sure works better than those coils
    18g? Huh. Im not good with electronics. I thought that those would require thicker wire.
    Any particular reason for the 02 gsxr coils as opposed to another year?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
      I'd be real interested in the coil on plug info too...

By 'Jaguar', do you mean from a car or is that the brand?

It would seem to me that LS2 coils (being so universal/popular/cheap) may be a good option as well.
      Yes, the auto brand. One thing stuck out to us, the jag v8 red lines at 8000. No street LS will do that. The quench was was lower than needed, another plus. I had 8 of them. Done..... You'll most likely have to wire them in series (1.5+1.5=3 ohms), parallel (1.5/2=.75 ohms) ohms law. And some brackets have to be made. I'm going with some milled ones from 7th gear. They bolt to the old coil mount. Min 16awg wire for longevity. Thicker case and wire can take movement and vibration better.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-01-2016, 08:08 PM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I just used the 02 because I read an article on gixxer.com from a guy who upgraded his earlier gsxr with those coils, a wide range of years used the same coil, so I used them. 18 gauge is what he used and I believe the majority of wire on the preKat is 18. Plus the 2 coils in series take me to right around a 3 ohm load

Comment

Working...
        X