Problems CDI & Main fuse ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems CDI & Main fuse ???

Hi Everyone.

I've got a problem with my wee 1989 GSX400F.
    Its the Japanese import model (600f frame with the 400r engine.)

I replaced with new parts the starter relay, Reg/Rectifier, Generator stator and battery as they were toast. Checked coil pack readings and ok.

Cleaned the carbs, new fuel in fired up the bike for the first time in 2 years. All ok and fine. Then when I gave it a slight throttle the main fuse blew.

So I replaced it and then every time I turn the ignition on it blows.

Checked online and everywhere to see what the fuse should be as all 4 fuses in my box are 10amp. Noticed some have a main 25amp so, All I had was a 20amp. Tried that and my CDI went up in smoke.

Any Ideas why ???

Anyone know what amp fuse it should be ???

If I bang on a new CDI will that go up in smoke as well ?

I just don't know where to go next

You have a short some where..which fuse is blowing ( like that will help me, manual doesn't cover that bike)
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yea Its a bit difficult to trace any schematics for this bike.
      Its the main fuse with the red pos from the battery.

Front right as you look at it.

Thinking I might just pull the wiring harness out and do a complete check off the bike.

Comment

So I decided to pull the wiring off the bike today just to check the whole system.
        Repaired a couple of bodge jobs and also found my problem.

The regulator/rectifier plug (red/black wire) was melted on the inside causing a short. OK at idle but shorted out when the revs built up.

Just ordered a new plug and CDI so hope all is well.

Comment

Hah so much for that then.

Got my new cdi in the post this morning hooray.

Decided it best to just check everything over again to make sure all the other electrics were reading good even though I already checked them all last week when I removed and repaired the wiring harness.

So all good fitted the new cdi and fired it up.

Worked a treat let it idle for a while to warm up. Gave it a blip of the throttle no problems then after 5 minutes pop goes the fuse again.

Fired it up and all good then rev it oh no pop again.

Now the new cdi is dead. No spark not a bean.

What a waist of time. I have fitted all new electrics and repaired the wiring. All the readings and out puts are correct.

Think its time to give up on this one as its cost me a fortune so far.
          Shame as its low mileage and in top show condition.
          I guess that's why the last owner ditched it (ELECTRICS)

Comment

Ouch!!
            I'm not so sure the 600 schematic won't work for you.
            Shame to give up an a grey market teapot.
            At this point it's worth a shot cracking open the CDI to see what's what.
            Maybe you're lucky and just burned a trace or something.
            Remember that you have two possible issues here:
            Incoming power, and outgoing from the CDI.
            Sorry I didn't chime in earlier (and honestly maybe I wouldn't have thought of this) but cracking open the first CDI might give you a clue as to why it smoked, input power, or output.
            Is this a bitsa bike or a legit GSX400? Because it's possible you have mismatched parts that are causing issues.
            Bad regulator usually pops your lights.
            For future reference, going down in amperage for your fuses when trouble shooting is always a good idea. Fuses are sized a little counter intuitively. Current curves and yadayada.

Comment

Decided to have another try at this one as I have had time to cool off

Black_peter It is an original factory bike no mods all original.

I just opened the old cdi box to find a big hole in the board behind the 4 pin connector. Looks like it used to have 2 or 3 diodes prior to the destruction.

The only wires from the 4 pin connector are. 1 x Green/yellow from 4 pin plug to left rear of gearbox, just in from the gear change lever.

Then a black/blue wire and a brown wire from the 4 pin plug to left side engine cover (clutch ???)

Does that make any sense ??

On the CDI 6 pin plug and 4 pin plug is one a power in and power out ??

Comment

Suzuki UK are no help. Cant get any info from them at all
                Anyone got a contact for Suzuki Japan. I cant find anything online

Comment

Try this site for manuals. http://suzukservicemanuals.com/suzuk...epair-manuals/
                  Parts are going to be a challenge. Hey, found this http://m.ebay.com/itm/Derestrict-Ign...981?nav=SEARCH
                  Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-18-2016, 08:22 AM.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope you can see these images ??? not sure how to do this.

Thanks Junker my manual is not on that site as its the later 1988-89 model.

I'm just looking at my CDI now. If you can see the images. Original one is a mess and the new Chinese one has got a small melted wire on the board.

Trying to follow where it comes/goes to but its not easy

Originally posted by Mike89F View Post
                    [IMG][/IMG]

Hope you can see these images ??? not sure how to do this.

Thanks Junker my manual is not on that site as its the later 1988-89 model.

I'm just looking at my CDI now. If you can see the images. Original one is a mess and the new Chinese one has got a small melted wire on the board.

Trying to follow where it comes/goes to but its not easy
                    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                    Last edited by Mike89F; 05-18-2016, 09:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well thanks for the help SUZUKI UK

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your 1989 GSX400F.

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise for the length of time it has taken to provide you with a response and thank you for your patience during this time.

With regards to your original enquiry into a wiring diagram for your motorcycle, we are unfortunately unable to supply these to our customers. I apologise I am unable to offer a more positive response on this occasion.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us, if we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to call us on 0500 011959.

Kind Regards

Micky Cipollaro

Customer Services Executive

OK thanks for that reply. I will look up my local HONDA, KAWASAKI or YAMAHA dealers and have them help me out.

Comment

What's your voltage like @ idle, 8,000 RPM and 15,000 RPM?

It may be over-volting and smoking those diodes. Voltage regulator could be wonky or something.

Comment

The longest I had it idle before blowing the main fuse is about 10 seconds without touching the throttle.
                          After that it pops the fuse just turning on the ignition.

Give it a few minutes then fit a fuse and it will idle again for 5 to 10 seconds.

Fuse blows as soon as throttle is touched (no time to get revs on)

?????

Any ideas on the regulator rectifier causing a problem here. Just noticed mine is from electrex world. I have always had problems with electrex world products not working so think I might change this.

Comment

Working...
                          X