X

Suddenly, no start, no lights...?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
    How many volts did the battery measure? If you turned the key on and had lights & then hit the starter button and everything goes out i'm betting the battery is toast. Can you put the battery on a real charger?
    Bingo. I never claim to know or understand anything electric, other than electrolytes

And hence, when I tested the battery with a multitester and it showed 11 volts, and then even trickle charged it and still got nothing, i scratched my head. I used both a solar trickle charger and a 2/4/6 amp charger. I even tried using the charger as a external battery source for jumping, to no avail. (I remembered reading here years ago not to jump a bike with a car battery, although I'm not so sure doing what I did was any different...in hindsight).

So I concluded it wasn't the battery and had it taken to the shop. The owner there is a cool dude. Called me back later to tell me it did have 11 volts when testing, but then dropped to 0 under load. ??Didn't know that could happen. Kinda makes testing the battery moot, from my POV. Anyways, thanks all.

TLDR: Battery was dead enough (cells?) for complete electrical failure (light, horn etc..) but still tested at 11 volts. Battery replaced and all is gravy.
    Last edited by Gkannon77; 03-26-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

++++1
      The same thing happened to mine yrs ago as it would show a voltage
      but under a load it would just tap out! Bought a Yuasa battery and
      have never looked back. I also use a trickle charger In the winter months to keep it maintained. Glad you got it resolved.
      Find batteries, battery chargers and power supplies for your device. AtBatt's easy to use Battery Select Technology ensures you the perfect power match

Comment

Working...
      X