X

Starter burnout/jam :/// plz haalp

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter burnout/jam :/// plz haalp

Hey guys so Iv search posts on here but I guess I wasn't able to find one that made it clear. So yesterday I went to work as usual and half way there I noticed a weird noise coming from the clutch cover. Realized that it only made noise when I had the clutch in. Turns out my starter button was stuck depressed and would not release/return on it's own. So after work I got it back home, the next morning I tryed to start it starter button still stuck and it just made a click then the dash lights would dim to half. Fuse is good unfortunately.I think I burned out the starter. I tryed to push start it with a friend and the rear wheel would just lock up instead of it kicking over. Battery is fully charged. So what does this say about my issue? I'm thinking new starter. Would I need a new starter clutch as well? And I'll definately be getting a new starter switch that doesn't jam. And feedback would be amazing.

My recommendation is to take it apart and see if you can locate the problem area, may just be jammed and dissembling may release whatever is jammed, if not you without the starter installed the starter clutch should not be engaged, if it is then it will need replacing, at this time you can check to see if the starter will function out of the bike.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

May just need new brushes since you were spinning the starter at cruise speed
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok thanks for the input. I have a new clutch cover seal and some fresh oil on its way, so I'll open that puppy up and see what is jammed. So once I get the starter removed, I need to bridge the gap on the relay to test it right? If the starter is shot I'll at least unjam the starter clutch so I can push start and get it home from work. First day off in 2 weeks and I wanna fix my katana downside is it's stuck at work and I don't wanna get forced into working today....I hate this. What a beautiful day and my katana is held hostage at my job :/

Comment

Gggaaaaahhh was really hoping it didn't come to this...Ok so today after work I was able to drain the oil take off the engine cover over the starter clutch. All of the teeth looked fine no metal shavings and surprisingly clean. I pulled the pin holding in the gear that the starter rotates and was able to move it down abit so the starter could rotate freely, so I didn't have to remove the starter just to check it. I bypassed the starter relay and the starter spun up great. Battery is 6months old and Iv never had an issue with it, on a tender so it's topped off. Before I parked it ran great, lately there has been a more apparent smell of gas, and I've been getting 29-31 mpg for the past few months. I guess the question I'm getting at is you think I'm dealing with hydro lock? In first gear with bike off (obviously) on center stand I can't rotate the back tire not even alittle bit, and I was trying to rotate it counter clockwise. The oil is and was topped off I check it every other day cuz It leaks abit. What do you guys think I could really use some help with this. What do I need to do to fix this? Thank you

Comment

Well pull the plugs and try to start it, does it rotate? It still may be a weak starter if the brushes are worn out.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-02-2015, 11:47 PM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Ok UPDATE!!!!!!!I just got it towed home. After spending a week at work. I took off the tank carbs and air box. I took out the plugs and the starter. I put the bike in first gear and wasn't able to move the back tire so I shifted up to 5th gear and was finally able to rotate the engine. Weird thing is sometimes I need to rotate the back tire so I can shift it back down to neutral. Does that mean I need to adjust the clutch cable?? What is my next step here? I really appreciate all the help so far!!!

Iv been meaning to do a valve adjustment. I hope it's not to late..

Comment

It's normal to have to roll a little to shift when the bike isn't running.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                X